Any additional sites/resources?

I’ve been visiting Dramatica.com, Dramaticapedia.com, narrative first.com, and storymind.com for a while and think I’ve just about gone over everything. Just wondering if anyone knows any other sites that discuss Dramatica or use it to analyze stories.

Years ago when I was a member of Romance Writers of America, I met a published writer who used it and thought it was great. You might find writers in genre writing groups that use it.

http://www.how-to-write-a-book-now.com/plot-outline.html This is what made me go searching for more about the Dramatica Theory. I don’t know if it will introduce anything new, or if you’ve already seen it, but I still find it interesting and helpful too.

Something to keep in mind about that site: their deconstructions through Dramatica do not necessarily agree with resident Dramatica experts.
He does, however, describe some practical applications of some Dramatica concepts. I would simply recommend taking his dramatica-related advice with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Point well made and well taken !

Thanks Rosie. I’ll definitely be checking it out.

I’ve seen some websites listed on some of the users names here on this site, but don’t remember who all had them.

1 Like

Something I would like to see (and this goes for pretty much every story model, whether Huntley & Phillips, Campbell, Snyder, McKee, Truby, or whatever) is a step-by-step journey from idea to completed work (e.g. short story, novel, novella, film, comic, …). While the story assemblies one and two, and the annual embroideries are cool, they only go so far. I understand that this is a lot to ask, since, for instance, you probably can’t sell whatever you’re documenting, but still…

1 Like

Exactly. I’d love to see something like that for Dramatica. Even if it’s just a scene or two written out. Maybe someone will start a thread for that some day.

I’d also really like to see more articles on Narrativefirst like the series Jim was doing just before nanowrimo.

Hmm… That would be kind of fun. If you could give me a storyform, the intended sequence for that scene, and some of the elements you’d like in the scene (like the Unique Ability or the Response)… I might be able to write a scene using that. Sounds like an interesting challenge, actually! :smiley:

1 Like

Working with a client right now going through Scene Construction with the PRCO, SRCA, TKAD, and PASS modalities - its going great and really helps to quickly point out any holes in the development of the scene. This client tends to blend Resistance and Current into the same beat (like blending IC and RS), so splitting it out like this really helps him understand what is missing from his story.

Compound that with TKAD and the writer can see that T, K, and D are already represented and then its simply a matter of figuring out what the A is for that missing beat.

In other words, he might have a scene with beats hitting Situation, Fixed Attitude and Manner of Thinking, but missing an Activity. He simply splits out the blended beats into different beats and finds an Activity that fits in there and then its off and onto the next scene.

I plan on writing it all up after I’ve gone through the whole thing. Learning tons.

4 Likes

Awesome! @actingpower stepping up! Thats what I’m talking about. Im not at my computer but I’ll post a storyform as soon as I can unless someone else wants to and beats me to it.

Can’t wait @jhull. Sounds like it’ll be a great article. I’ll have to go back over that series again for a refresher.

Sounds great; just make sure to a new thread for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

A post was split to a new topic: Tangled: The Series

I started it under Writing a Scene with Dramatica/Dramatica Challenge. Hope it’s what you were looking for.

Not sure why this would bother me. Any further potential for understanding is welcome, even if it is just a small part of what I suggested.

1 Like

Yeah, I said something and then thought maybe actingpower might’ve been responding more to you than me. After I spoke up I thought maybe I had got excited and jumped in too soon. I tend to do that. Haha.