Any tips/resources on how RS story points relate to RS "outcome"?

Reading between the lines, I gather that I have a lot of freedom when writing the relationship story and that I’m not beholden to any “plot dynamics” like in the OS or in the MC good/bad ending state, etc. However, I want to verify that is true and not write something in the RS that violates a dramatica principle. Specifically:

1. How can I understand how the problem, solution, symptom, response, catalyst, and inhibitor relate to the relationship story that is “growing” (i.e. relatively delightful and non-problematic). I heard this term on the ET analysis. It sounded like the relationship was driven by the RS problem of conscience and the “state” (external state? emotional state?) of the relationship goes from symptom to response (uncontrolled to controlled). I think I get that the RS solution is often invoked when “we have a problem between us” and the outcome is “we’re OK with each other now.” However, I’m unsure how to deal with a RS that has no particular problem specifically “between us.” Or would that not be allowed in dramatica since conflict and problematic concerns are essential?

2. More generally, if the RS outcome is a constructive one (“we’re OK with each other”)–even with conflict during the story before the ending–instead of a destructive one (“we wouldn’t talk to each other if we could”), does that imply anything about the above 6 storyform characteristics?
    2a. For example, does that mean the catalyst overcame the inhibitor?
    2b. Is the reverse true (inhibitor overcomes catalyst in a “destructive” outcome)?
    2c. Also, Is it a safe bet that the RS solution is essential in leading to the constructive outcome in the typical conflict-laden relationship (assuming it ends in a constructive state).

3. What can be said about those 6 when it’s a “destructive” outcome? i.e. an ending of we split up, broke up, went our separate ways by choice (not “I gotta go back to my planet but will always be right here”)?

Thank you.

I think you are defining relationship story too narrowly. Relationship is not just about conflict between IC and MC, but about the relationship itself. This means that sustaining a relationship can be a problem as in ET’s case. This is just a matter of storyencoding and has no bearing on storyform. It could’ve easily been encoded otherwise. Sometimes relationship solution breaks up the relationship, other times it strengthens the relationship. Sometimes solution is not introduced, other times it is. Sometimes breaking up relationships is a good thing, other times it’s not. Author gets to decide all that.

I think what Chris meant to say was that the relationship was growing rather than dissolving. This is because we see Elliott and ET starting off not knowing each other, then ending their relationship with a strong friendship. In a dissolving story, ET and Elliot would’ve started off as friends and drifted away from each other as their friendship crumbles.

In ET, the RS is strained because of the outside pressure, making it harder to sustain their relationship. The fact that they were continuing their secret friendship was the problem. And their whole relationship was driven by each other wanting to do the right thing for the other. I think I can see bits of solution (temptation) sprinkled here and there (ie. ET getting drunk, Elliot telling about a spaceman), but not to its full effect.

ET and Elliott’s relationship is not resolved (solution is not introduced) and that turns out to be a good thing; they are always for each other wherever they are although they might be separated. However, imagine ET not being able to leave the earth and government breathing down Elliott’s neck. One possible solution would be to surrender ET to the government, thus resolving their relationship, which would’ve been a bad thing (or maybe good? – depending on how the author frames the story) for Elliott and ET’s friendship.

Also as for Catalyst and Inhibitor, it is just used to either speed up or slow down the story. If catalyst is introduced, story speeds up in its progression (for the better or worse) and inhibitor stalls the progression of the story (for the better or worse).

that’s just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Uh, that’s about $200 worth. Thanks!

1 Like