Anyone up for working on a Pixar storyform together? (Wall-E)

Maybe, it’s the fat guy who is the IC?

Is someone putting the points into the Dramatica software program?

You mean the Captain of the Axiom? I don’t see him having much of an influence on Wall-E, or much of a relationship. Certainly not to the extent that Eve has on him. I see the Captain more as one of the main players within the OS. But make your case case for it and we’ll see what happens.

And yes I’m keeping up with everything. When we get to the end I’ll post what we come up with.

I guess I was seeing the robot human dynamic as mc and ic. Too much Asimov reading in college, I guess. The gal robot makes sense.

Not saying there’s not anything there, but I didn’t see much influence either way. Looking at it from an Asimov perspective is a pretty interesting twist though.

I think if it weren’t for Eves presence, Wall-E would have run away from the ship without looking back. I think seeing her there influenced him to stay and see what was happening. It also felt to me like the point where the story kicked off.

I currently see her, as i said before, as an impulsive response character. Not sure what exact problems it causes for her, though. She’s fixated on finding plant life and shoots at anything that moves or makes noise. She doesn’t seem to be troubled by it though. The only examples I can think of where it’s problematic are when WallE tries to take her hand to take her in from the storm and she pulls her blaster on him and ends up getting caught in the storm.

I do see her impulsive responses to various things as causing problems for WallE though, and I suppose that’s part of her influence on him.

Fascinating…more later, of course

This thread kind of died out and turns out I’m still not good enough to figure this out. I was kind of happy with most of what I have below, but couldn’t figure my way much farther. Maybe because I’m already way off base with what I’ve got? Oh well, anyway, I think I’m done thinking about WALLE for awhile, so here’s as far as i got. For some reason when I pull up the report, it has some of the problem level stuff selected and some listed as unchosen. I didn’t have any of the problem level stuff selected so not sure why it has something in there for some throughlines.

STORY ENGINE SETTINGS: “WALL-E”

CHARACTER DYNAMICS:
MC RESOLVE: Steadfast
MC GROWTH: Start
MC APPROACH: Do-er
MC PROBLEM-SOLVING STYLE: Logical
IC RESOLVE: Change

PLOT DYNAMICS:
DRIVER: Action
LIMIT: Optionlock
OUTCOME: Success
JUDGMENT: Good

MAIN CHARACTER
(the Main Character)
THROUGHLINE: Situation
CONCERN: How Things are Changing
ISSUE: an unchosen item vs. Threat
PROBLEM: an unchosen item
SOLUTION: an unchosen item
SYMPTOM: an unchosen item
RESPONSE: an unchosen item
UNIQUE ABILITY: Threat
CRITICAL FLAW: Enlightenment
BENCHMARK: The Future
SIGNPOST 1: an unchosen item
SIGNPOST 2: an unchosen item
SIGNPOST 3: an unchosen item
SIGNPOST 4: an unchosen item

OVERALL STORY
(The Overall Story)
THROUGHLINE: Manipulation
CONCERN: Playing a Role
ISSUE: Ability vs. Desire
PROBLEM: an unchosen item
SOLUTION: Non-Accurate
SYMPTOM: Cause
RESPONSE: Effect
CATALYST: Desire
INHIBITOR: Worth
BENCHMARK: Changing One’s Nature

MAIN VS. IMPACT STORY
(The Main vs. Impact Story)
THROUGHLINE: Activity
CONCERN: Doing
ISSUE: Skill vs. Experience
PROBLEM: Trust
SOLUTION: Test
CATALYST: Experience
INHIBITOR: Fantasy
BENCHMARK: Obtaining

IMPACT CHARACTER
(the Impact Character)
THROUGHLINE: Fixed Attitude
CONCERN: Impulsive Responses
ISSUE: Confidence vs. Worry
PROBLEM: Accurate
SYMPTOM: Process
RESPONSE: Result
UNIQUE ABILITY: Worry
CRITICAL FLAW: Thought
BENCHMARK: Innermost Desires

ADDITIONAL STORY POINTS

GOAL: Playing a Role
CONSEQUENCE: Doing
COST: Impulsive Responses
DIVIDEND: How Things are Changing

REQUIREMENT: Changing One’s Nature
PREREQUISITE: Obtaining
PRECONDITION: Innermost Desires
FOREWARNINGS: The Future

It didn’t die out, believe me…the pouring rain and flooding window wells are just more active at our house right now. I think about it and want to watch the movie, again, and I’m still into it.

I’d stalled out a bit on the Domains, so that’s why I haven’t said much. Honestly, WALL-E is a bit weak in that regard, I think–the OS is a bit Situation-y and a bit Activity-y, and the bots’ arcs aren’t that strong. Your printout seems pretty good. Though, weirdly, some of those “unchosen items” must be more specific! like, the MC Issue of Security, obviously. :stuck_out_tongue:

MAIN CHARACTER
(the Main Character)
THROUGHLINE: Situation
CONCERN: How Things are Changing
ISSUE: Security vs. Threat
PROBLEM: Result
SOLUTION: Process
UNIQUE ABILITY: Threat
CRITICAL FLAW: Enlightenment
BENCHMARK: The Future
[I haven’t looked at the Benchmarks yet.]

OVERALL STORY
(The Overall Story)
THROUGHLINE: Manipulation
CONCERN: Playing a Role
ISSUE: Ability vs. Desire
PROBLEM: Accurate
CATALYST: Desire
INHIBITOR: Worth
BENCHMARK: Changing One’s Nature

I would love to know what your breakthroughs you’ve had (perhaps in a different thread if you are up for it). I am hoping that I can have one or two myself over the coming weeks.

Its been a while since I have watched Wall-E. Just to clear up some of the OS points. Would everyone be in agreement that AUTO is the antagonist of the film?

If so, can we deduce something of the story goal from that?

How about BnL? Or would that be the same as AUTO?

Are we sure Eve is not just the Guardian and the captain ic? …just mulling things over before I can watch the film, here.

I agree on the OS. It seems to fit in both the Situation and Activity Domains. But I still think there’s so much more coming from the Manipulation quad, particularly when it comes to looking for the source of the problems.

I was looking up info regarding the points @jhull and @LunarDynasty brought up and found where Stanton said part of the original idea was that Wall-E would be the last robot on Earth. I forgot everything I read, but I definitely feel like Stanton would say Wall-E’s problems come from his Situation. And there’s so much activity between Wall-E and Eve that…well, i’ve explained where i came up with all that before. I may be wrong about all those domains too. If I am, I just want to know why I’m wrong.

Maybe I’ll discuss sometime. All pretty basic stuff still. I really love the thought of Dramatica, but it’s mostly a hobby in my spare time, and it’s not all spelled out clearly for me, so I tend to take a while to get parts of it. Haha.

He (it?) is definitely antagonistic for a good portion of it. Based on my putting the OS in Manipulation and Playing a Role, I think Auto is trying to keep the passengers playing their role’s as luxury cruise passengers. They’ve already been in that role for 655 years longer than they planned![quote=“Prish, post:32, topic:878, full:true”]
How about BnL? Or would that be the same as AUTO?
[/quote]

I hadn’t considered BnL’s role, particularly as an archetype, but now that you bring it up it makes me think of the Empire and Vader in Star Wars. Only here, the Axiom and co. might feel more like the contagonists and Auto more like the antagonist?

I didn’t read it that way, but feel free to make a case. Like I said in another post, I know i’ll be wrong on some stuff. I just want to know why I’m wrong. So let’s hear it!

I was wondering who might be the contagonist, and you might be right.

The humans, just, seem to be weightier in concept. I wonder if a contagonist can be an IC? I am all over the place with this, btw. Here’s hoping some of the experts jump on board, too.

Hi all,
I just watched this film for the first time! Definitely enjoyed it. I got a real kick out of the fact that my 6-year-old was shouting at Eve to “just kiss him” to wake Wall-E up at the end, and then she did. :slight_smile:

I gave the storyform some thought before skimming the whole thread. Definitely agree on all the dynamics, and on the Concerns being Upper Right quadrant. I also thought Eve showed a lot of influence around Impulsive Responses, with her crazy “shoot everything that moves” reactions all the time. But, there is perhaps the possibility that is the RS throughline? Like everyone on this thread, I found the OS Domain tricky.

Was there an agreement on the descriptions of the throughlines, esp. the Overall Story? That’s usually the most important thing to pin down first as a group, before going into Domains. It would be best to define it without going into backstory. Maybe something like:

Overall Story: A lone robot continues to clean the Earth, which is struggling to support plant life. Meanwhile the human race sits idly by, spoon-fed by robots as they float through space on a pleasure ship.

MC: Wall-E is sad and lonely as the last robot on Earth, yet seems to have hope

IC: Eve is programmed to fulfill her Directive to return to the Axiom with plant life.

RS: Wall-E and Eve – a robot romance!

2 Likes