Assigning domain choices

Hello Folks! Is anyone able to assign a domain to any of the below?

Thanx, Emm.

A man who won’t ask the woman of his dreams out on a date for fear of rejection

A man afraid of being critiqued has not get submitted a short story for his fellow writing students to critiquqe.

A man frightened of dealing with strong emotions, avoids processing the death of a lover.

A man fearful that his hobby will come between him and any relationship, chooses to stay single, despite the loneliness he feels.

2 Likes

My instinct says all of these are in “Mind.” However, I think the main issue that’s keeping you from being able to assign a Domain here is that these aren’t really “conflicts,” per se. These are bad things, sure, but there’s nothing preventing all four of these men from simply repressing these negative emotions forever. Let’s say I add a Limit to the first one:

A man who won’t ask the woman of his dreams out on a date for fear of rejections must discover his courage before she moves away to another state.

Though perhaps I’ve cheated a little here, because the key part isn’t the Timelock, but the phrase, “discover his courage.” By saying this and not, say, “must come up with a method to woo her,” I’ve leaned more heavily towards Mind.

How about if we make an Antagonist instead?

A man so afraid of being critiqued that he has not submitted a short story for his fellow writing students to critique finds himself in the bet of his life when a rival author dares him to win the Hugo Award within the next five years, or risk losing everything.

Now I’ve tried to bias it more towards Activity.

How about the Influence Character?

A man frightened of dealing with strong emotions, avoiding processing the death of a lover, finds those emotions immediately in turmoil when the woman who received his wife’s heart in a transplant tries to be a part of his life.

This one… might be in Psychology? The MC Throughline would probably be in Mind, since the IC Throughline is almost certainly Situation. (Also, apologies to David Duchovny.)

…Shoot, I want to do another IC one.

A man fearful that his hobby will come between him and any relationship finds himself in a life-or-death situation with a cross-dressing co-hobbyist at a convention gone horribly wrong.

Does that sound Situation-y? :stuck_out_tongue: Also, now I really want to write this story. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

My Take:

Sentence one: Mind. Subconscious concern. WHAT he thinks. He thinks she’ll reject him.

Sentence two: Psychology. Being concern. HOW he thinks. He’s afraid of “how” he work will be judged.

Sentence three: Mind. Memory concern. The “death” of the lover is an event that only he experiences and so he avoids that memory.

Sentence four: Psychology. Conceiving concern. He’s getting the “idea” that his hobby will ruin ANY relationship.

Bear in mind that with Domains and in this case the concerns, you are looking for the source of the conflict. How they are expressed IS storytelling. With storytelling , you’re showing the resultant effects of the source of the problem.

See this diagram. This is how I understand it.

The root and areas beneath the top-soil is all the story structure. The Storyform essentially. What the audience see’s is the pretty flower or shoot and all that it’s exposed to (wind, sunshine etc). But the source of it all is beneath the top-soil. That’s where the problem comes from. What is the cause, really? The story grows from the seed that is the Storyform.
Remember to include the worms though, hehehe (drawing the audiences’ attention to the storyform).

Hope this helps?

3 Likes

Great…that’s big big help Khodu. I may post you 2 activity and 2 universe,
if that’s ok with you, my friend? Thanx emm

2 Likes

You’re welcome. That’s no problem. When you’re ready.

Emm, I’d suggest that more context may be needed. For instance here:

Fear of rejection might be the source of conflict preventing the man and woman from becoming a couple…
OR attempting to physically communicate with the woman might be the source of conflict that’s causing the man to experience bouts of fear…
OR you might end up writing about how this man has a facial scar and this causes him to fear that he will be rejected…
And then you could say that fearing is a source of conflict or you could point to the possible rejection as a source of conflict, which may or may not land this storypoint in another area of the quad.

That probably all sounds fairly nit picky, but is my way of saying that, depending on the rest of the story, they could go just about anywhere at the moment.

3 Likes

It’s also possible that this conflict is also taking place at different level.

Issue of Conditioning: Many rejections over the years have conditioned the man to fear women.

Problem of Projection: The man can’t bring himself to ask the woman out because he keeps anticipating rejection.

2 Likes

The most obvious fit is Fixed Attitude/Innermost Desires/Dream vs. Hope. What’s not immediately obvious is if it is the MC Throughline or the RS Throughline.

An alternative would be Situation/Present/Attraction vs. Rejection (or vice versa).

No OS seems suggested by the example.

That said, you could make it anything you want so long as you understand that the storyform is the lens through which you view the subject matter, not the subject matter itself.

8 Likes