Be-er/Do-er (Introvert? Extrovert?)

How well do you guys think the Be-er/Do-er classifications line up with the introverts and extroverts? It seems to be overwhelming correlation.

To anyone that understands MBTI - there also seems to be a (lesser) correlation with Holistic and Ti users vs. Linear and Te users.

Thus, if you want to find examples of [insert be-er/doer and introvert/extrovert] for inspiration on your next story OR if they have a character in mind and want to confirm their throughline (e.g. Do-er = Physics or Situation) then visit google or MBTI Databank and search for the following:
in the case of Do-er / Linear - ENTJ, ESTJ, ENFP, ESFP
in the case of Do-er / Holistic - ENTP, ESFJ, ENFJ, ESTP
in the case of Be-er / Linear - INTJ, ISTJ, INFP, ISFP
in the case of Be-er / Holistic - INTP, ISFJ, INFJ, ISTP
*it’s not always the case, but it seems extremely accuate (the only cavaet being perhaps with ESTP, which I feel could be linear)

P.S. Knowing MBTI very well, i’m 100% convinced, the difference between the writers you who like to discover the story as they going along vs. those that like to structure everything first is a classic case of Ne (extroverted intution) vs. Ni (introverted intution) - Ne wants to explore different possilbities (can feel uncomfortable when closing off options) whilst Ni wants to synthesise down and arrive at conclusions (for this reason, these types find brainstorming frustrating) - I would be suprised if most of the members here aren’t INFPs (Ne as 2nd main function) or INFJs (Ni as main function) - these two types are the posterboys for each respective function in writing

5 Likes
3 Likes

INTJ here.

Interesting post! I am totally into MBTI. In fact, the first thing I did when developing my characters was to identify their personality types.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you Sensei.

1 Like

Same here :grin: nice to see a fellow Ni dom.

I also want to disagree with these. I haven’t got the time right now to draw up my own observations on them all but I will eventually and of course share it with everyone, but it seems so far:

Function is their dominant (master) > function is their auxillary (very proficient)

Ni (INTJ/INFJ > ENTJ/ENFJ) = enlightenment, evaluation, hunch, possibility [not INTJ/ENTJ], temptation [only INTJ/INFJ], thought [not INTJ/ENTJ]
Ne (ENTP/ENFP > INTP/INFP) = possibility [not ENFP/INFP], thought, uncontrolled
Si (ISTJ/ISFJ > ESTJ/ESFJ) = Inertia, process, projection, reaction?
Se (ESTP/ESFP > ISTP/ISFP) = oppose, probability? temptation
Ti (INTP/ISTP > ENTP/ESTP) = induction, openess, theory, test
Te (ENTJ/ESTJ > INTJ/ISTJ) = nonacceptance, nonaccurate, oppose, order, proven, trust
Fe (ENFJ/ESFJ > INFJ/ISFJ) = order, worry [INFJ/ISFJ only]
Fi (INFP/ISFP > ENFP/ESFP) = (none so far)

*INTJ only? - Unproven

The advantage to this is it can suggest a MBTI type for your MC or IC if you’re unsure of their personality - I think it’s based on their Problem/Drive but I’ll have to look into it more

1 Like

One brainstorm: For main characters, is it most consistent to write N’s that prefer intuitive problem solving and S’s that prefer linear? That is, all N’s are intuitive & all S’s are linear.

When I read about S’s, they sounded more step by step and N’s sounded more “leap-y”–independent of the other letters.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about MBTI, but I wonder how MC Mental Sex / Problem-solving Style fits into it? The reason I ask is that the linear v. intuitive issue may fit in here some way, in addition to Introvert/Extrovert.

I think it could have a huge correlation. Some MTBI types are much more common in males than females and vice versa. For instance, I am a female INTJ which is very rare. I’ve had male colleagues tell me I think and act more like a man than some of the men they know! LOL

I agree that the correlation would be huge. I am actually working on software to determine the personality type of our fictional characters, to use in conjunction with Dramatica. It determines the MBTI, Enneagram, Big 5 and a bunch of other flavors for the most important characters.
I accumulated as much data as I could get my hands on for this project, but still, it doesn’t seem to be much yet. And the biggest hurdle is to retrofit the data. It is like figuring out what the recipe is, based upon knowing what cookie you want and what some of the ingredients are. But I am trying to use machine learning to solve this puzzle. More to come about this.
I am an INTJ too. It is probably not a coincidence that some personality types tend to like Dramatica more.

the creators of dramatica strike me as INTP.
the userbase of dramatica strike me as a lot of INTJs.
INTJs love to apply and compose with the physics systems built by INTPs (like combining dramatica with MBTI!). INTPs love to get the theoretical model perfect within its acknowledged limits/context (the limited dimensionality of human thinking).