Black Panther Analysis

This article does an amazing job of illuminating his blind spot in regards to “freezing” and how it’s meaningfully closer to Avoid than anything else under Delay.

I do like your Narrative Argument better, but it’s funnier if it’s exactly the same!

2 Likes

I think the Nakia stuff factors into that somehow. At the beginning, he avoids doing anything with her (“freezing”), and by the end he’s able to kiss her – allowing himself to pursue a relationship with her.

Gah, Jim beat me to it.

2 Likes

Sorry to double post, but I just saw the storyform in Subtext and I don’t think I’ve ever been more encouraged in my Dramatica-based studies than the sudden realisation that, in addition to being very close with the storyform, I correctly identified an IC hand-off.

If I had a hat (and I don’t, because the only Sun we get here is a trashy tabloid), that sucker would be mid-air by now!

3 Likes

I almost threw the Get Out guy in there as well. Seemed like he was repeating a lot of the things that Nakia and Killmonger were saying. Did anyone else get that impression?

@mlucas mentioned W’Kabi as a potential hand-off toward the beginning of the conversation, I think? Might be wrong.

He definitely has a couple of IC moments, for sure, but it’s hard to separate whether or not he’s consistently speaking as an IC or just an OS character.

1 Like

I felt Daniel Kaluuya (W’Kabi) was arguing an even more extreme isolationist case than T’Challa was–similar to T’Challa’s dad’s argument. W’Kabi was saying that it was dangerous to engage with the rest of the world (e.g. “you let them in & their problems become your problems”).

Perhaps they are ghost characters as Chris Huntley defines it (e.g. Keys near the end of ET) with the literal ghost of T’Challa’s dad being more of a ghost/warning character than W’Kabi’s few comments.