Can anyone tell me if I have written a viable narrative argument for my story?

(working Title of) “Overcoming Sadie Teak”. My story is about a man who fails to become friends with a woman he is fixated upon, but in the process succeeds in overcoming a dependency, and wins back his free will.

@Emm I wouldn’t phrase it this way…something more like…

Stop trying to be friends with the object of your fixation and you can overcome dependency and win back your free will.

Is that what you’re going for?

1 Like

Thank you… I’ve got to get to grips with the idea of the wording. Can you give me a few examples of different key words to use as templates. For instance. “Stop…and you can”. Emm.

A general narrative argument is a fine place to start.

But you should keep an open mind that through use of Dramatica, you may end up with a richer narrative argument that is more directly tied to the structure. This is what the narrative arguments found on Narrative First’s Subtext service are – ties to specific story points. But you can’t really do that until you know your storyform AND have an excellent grasp on how the story points work in your particular story.

So, I feel that trying to reword and come up with a perfect narrative argument isn’t that useful right now. It’s putting the cart before the horse.

What you should do now is concentrate on understanding your four throughlines. Write a summary sentence for each one so that you can see them each as their own separate stories. They will be intertwined in your story, but in order to use Dramatica, it’s important to see them all separately.

3 Likes

Great. I’ll do that then post them. Will you mlucas cast your eye over them, please?

2 Likes

This technique is important, so I made a blog post about it!

3 Likes