Character types assignments "doubling up" characters in quads

In the Dramatica manual, pg 202–“A character cannot serve two masters,” it says avoid assigning a character more than one element from the same quad. I have been assigning my characters Types in the Players window (protagonist, antagonist, etc) and Dramatica is giving each of them 2 characteristics from each quad (see pic) in the Characteristics window. Why is this happening?

When I assign character types in the Players window on the Star Wars example, everybody lands where they should be in the quads.

Your choice of OS Domain changes how the Objective Character elements are arranged. I’m guessing your storyform has an OS Throughline of Fixed Attitude?

While I generally like to diversify each quad, the ‘one element per quad’ limit is more a guideline than a hard rule (which I learned in this thread). You can create interesting complex characters who amplify (horizontal) or undercut (vertical) themselves.

The hard rule here is to not place dynamic (diagonal) pair elements within one character.

1 Like