Main Character Problem-Solving Style: Linear

Driver: Decision
Limit: Optionlock
Outcome: Failure
Judgment: Good

Influence Character: Ajax/Francis
Influence Character Domain: Manipulation
Influence Character Concern: Changing Oneā€™s Nature

This gives me 1 story form that seems to hold up. Do you agree?

Could you elaborate a little on the four throughlines, just for some context on where youā€™re coming from in regards to the Overall Story and Relationship?

I would argue an alternate storyform, personally. I think the OS is in Activity (killing the bad guy/saving the girl, etc.), and Wade is a Universe MC ā€“ he has cancer, was an experiment, is a superhero, etc. Heā€™s very much defined by the situations he is in at any given moment.

Iā€™d say the problems of the story (and Deadpoolā€™s problem) are defined by Uncontrolled ā€“ the cancer treatment, Deadpoolā€™s style of taking on the bad guys, Wade fleeing and abandoning Vanessa because of the way he looks, etc. He even punches Colossus and breaks his hand because heā€™s angry! Itā€™s not until he actually gets his shit together that everything comes together for the best.

Hereā€™s what I got: Deadpool.pdf (39.9 KB)

Iā€™ll explain any of my choices if you ask.

1 Like

Interesting. I donā€™t think Vanessa is the IC; that has to be Francis/Ajax. Wade obviously wants to go back to Vanessa, but first he needs to capture Francis (MC concern = obtaining) because Deadpool thinks Francis is able to give him back his appearance, so he pursues him (MC problem = pursuit). Which was just a lie to avoid that Deadpool would kill Francis (IC domain = manipulation). So the quest to restore his looks fails (outcome = failure), but he gets the girl anyway (judgment = good).

I think driver = decision because decisions precede actions because he got his superpowers after deciding he wanted to cure his cancer. Also he left Vanessa and started the pursuit of Francis based on a decision. I can see why you think that the MC concern = the future. But it also could be ā€˜obtainingā€™. I think IC domain = manipulation is the most convincing choice. Francisā€™ concern is all about ā€œchanging oneā€™s natureā€.

So the signposts are for the OS:
1 Memories: thoughts about love and cancer.
2 Innermost desires: healing.
3 Contemplation: the treatment had some side effects and now Wade wants revenge.
4 Impulsive responses: Francis was lying and he needs to die.

MC:
1 Doing: shooting a bunch of guys in order to get Francis.
2 Obtaining: Francis.
3 Gathering information: it was a lie.
4 Understanding: he has to accept his ugliness.

IC:
1 Playing a role: doctor.
2 Changing ones nature: giving Wade superpowers.
3 Conceiving an idea: ā€˜if I tell him I can cure himā€¦ā€™
4 Developing a plan: ā€˜ā€¦he would not kill meā€™

RS:
1 How things are changing: Francis didnā€™t turn out to be the savior and now he must die.
2 The future: How am I going to keep Vanessa with this ugly head? I need Francis for plastic surgery.
3 The past: this is how I got this way because of Francis.
4 The present: Francis is dead and I accept myself for who I am.

I mean, you can analyze a film in this fashion (you show me yours and Iā€™ll show you mine) but someone once said it tends to leave the argument open to confirmation bias. To really analyze a film youā€™d have to take it element by element, starting at the highest level, to make sure all of the arguments are based on solid Dramatica logic.

Thatā€™s how its been done so far on here, and Iā€™ve been a part of one, so Iā€™d be willing to help moderate the analysis. And I think thereā€™s enough experts who peek around these threads to make sure weā€™re on the right path.

It could take a little while but I think Deadpool is very ā€œclassic Hollywoodā€ and Iā€™m sure we could get it done, so let me know if youā€™re interested in that approach.

1 Like

You are probably right, Dan310.
My daughter saw me using Dramatica and asked about it. After I explained it to her, she wanted to do an analysis of Deadpool. So a lot of the discussion about the different options took place before posting it online. Maybe not the best approach.

Definitely would be a good analysis to try and figure out, because it seems very traditional and incredibly unique at the same time.

The one thing in the whole storyform I am 100% certain of is the Driver. If I remember correctly, the decision of taking the treatment is not shown (Iā€™m sure of it). He gets cancer, heā€™s met by the recruiter, we jump to the present, and then back to the past where heā€™s already there. There is no decision shown.

I know youā€™re interested @jamjam1794 and so am I, so if we can get maybe 1 or 2 others we can get an interesting go at it.