Main Character Problem-Solving Style: Linear

Driver: Decision
Limit: Optionlock
Outcome: Failure
Judgment: Good

Influence Character: Ajax/Francis
Influence Character Domain: Manipulation
Influence Character Concern: Changing One’s Nature

This gives me 1 story form that seems to hold up. Do you agree?

Could you elaborate a little on the four throughlines, just for some context on where you’re coming from in regards to the Overall Story and Relationship?

I would argue an alternate storyform, personally. I think the OS is in Activity (killing the bad guy/saving the girl, etc.), and Wade is a Universe MC – he has cancer, was an experiment, is a superhero, etc. He’s very much defined by the situations he is in at any given moment.

I’d say the problems of the story (and Deadpool’s problem) are defined by Uncontrolled – the cancer treatment, Deadpool’s style of taking on the bad guys, Wade fleeing and abandoning Vanessa because of the way he looks, etc. He even punches Colossus and breaks his hand because he’s angry! It’s not until he actually gets his shit together that everything comes together for the best.

Here’s what I got: Deadpool.pdf (39.9 KB)

I’ll explain any of my choices if you ask.

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t think Vanessa is the IC; that has to be Francis/Ajax. Wade obviously wants to go back to Vanessa, but first he needs to capture Francis (MC concern = obtaining) because Deadpool thinks Francis is able to give him back his appearance, so he pursues him (MC problem = pursuit). Which was just a lie to avoid that Deadpool would kill Francis (IC domain = manipulation). So the quest to restore his looks fails (outcome = failure), but he gets the girl anyway (judgment = good).

I think driver = decision because decisions precede actions because he got his superpowers after deciding he wanted to cure his cancer. Also he left Vanessa and started the pursuit of Francis based on a decision. I can see why you think that the MC concern = the future. But it also could be ‘obtaining’. I think IC domain = manipulation is the most convincing choice. Francis’ concern is all about “changing one’s nature”.

So the signposts are for the OS:
1 Memories: thoughts about love and cancer.
2 Innermost desires: healing.
3 Contemplation: the treatment had some side effects and now Wade wants revenge.
4 Impulsive responses: Francis was lying and he needs to die.

MC:
1 Doing: shooting a bunch of guys in order to get Francis.
2 Obtaining: Francis.
3 Gathering information: it was a lie.
4 Understanding: he has to accept his ugliness.

IC:
1 Playing a role: doctor.
2 Changing ones nature: giving Wade superpowers.
3 Conceiving an idea: ‘if I tell him I can cure him…’
4 Developing a plan: ‘…he would not kill me’

RS:
1 How things are changing: Francis didn’t turn out to be the savior and now he must die.
2 The future: How am I going to keep Vanessa with this ugly head? I need Francis for plastic surgery.
3 The past: this is how I got this way because of Francis.
4 The present: Francis is dead and I accept myself for who I am.

I mean, you can analyze a film in this fashion (you show me yours and I’ll show you mine) but someone once said it tends to leave the argument open to confirmation bias. To really analyze a film you’d have to take it element by element, starting at the highest level, to make sure all of the arguments are based on solid Dramatica logic.

That’s how its been done so far on here, and I’ve been a part of one, so I’d be willing to help moderate the analysis. And I think there’s enough experts who peek around these threads to make sure we’re on the right path.

It could take a little while but I think Deadpool is very “classic Hollywood” and I’m sure we could get it done, so let me know if you’re interested in that approach.

1 Like

You are probably right, Dan310.
My daughter saw me using Dramatica and asked about it. After I explained it to her, she wanted to do an analysis of Deadpool. So a lot of the discussion about the different options took place before posting it online. Maybe not the best approach.

Definitely would be a good analysis to try and figure out, because it seems very traditional and incredibly unique at the same time.

The one thing in the whole storyform I am 100% certain of is the Driver. If I remember correctly, the decision of taking the treatment is not shown (I’m sure of it). He gets cancer, he’s met by the recruiter, we jump to the present, and then back to the past where he’s already there. There is no decision shown.

I know you’re interested @jamjam1794 and so am I, so if we can get maybe 1 or 2 others we can get an interesting go at it.