Deep Doctrine: PSR Elements

Following the discussion found here, I have a ‘deep doctrine’ question regarding PSR Elements:

Should I decide to choose an Element quad for a PSR Variation besides its respective “at rest” quad, would the Z-Patterns of the Element layer follow the pattern of the other levels?

For example, Understanding is explored in terms of Destiny, Fate, Prediction, and Interdiction. Doing, Obtaining, and Gather Information follow suit by staying within that same Domain (Situation) when exploring their PSR Variations. If I decide to explore Destiny with a different Element quad outside its Domain, such as Non-Accurate, Accurate, Result, Process within Fixed Attitude, would the other three Variations of that quad, Fate, Prediction, and Interdiction, follow suit within the Fixed Attitude Domain when exploring their Element quads?

Here’s a convoluted illustration:
MC = Yellow
OS = Red
RS = Purple
IC = Blue

(The Z-Patterns for the Element level were made up on the fly)

If this all sounds like hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo, I understand. To simplify, I am trying to find out an ideal way to explore the Element level when dealing with PSR Variations.

Three of the methods I use to explore PSR Variations include:

1. “At rest” Element quads.
  2. Element quads of another Domain, where the other 3 PSR Variations follow suit.
  3. Element quads selected from any Domain, where the other 3 PSR Variations could have Element quads within any of the four Domains.

What is the meaning of choosing either one?

The problem with taking this approach is the quest for patterns without the appreciation of what it actually means.

What would make more sense would be to try and write the same scene taking the three different approaches you suggest and then reporting back here the difference.

Not only will you have the experience yourself of what it feels like to write differently, but perhaps you could discover some greater understanding of what it means to write with different Elements underneath.

Barring all that – just use the Elements under the Variation.

3 Likes

What a cool idea! This, I’m ready for!

Or another simple approach – start your scene without worrying about Elements. Then, when you’re about halfway done your scene*, see if you can figure out which element quad ended up in it, even though you didn’t consciously try. This allows you to let your subconscious choose the quad, but also to finish off the scene strongly by focusing on the last one or two elements from the quad.

*or just wait until you’re having trouble. If the scene is working great, why worry about it? But if you’re having trouble, sometimes the element quad or KTAD approach can really help.

1 Like