Didn't anyone analyze the film A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)?

This may be an interesting challenge. First, the protagonist is not a person, but a combination of. Secondly, Lemony Snicket plays what role? Only the narrator? Overall Story as God Perspective in the Dramatica, this perspective is only used to analyze our film. But when God himself( the narrator) appears in the film, he plays what role? This point seems to be ignored by dramatica…

Well, each book would have its own storyform with the Baudelaires as MC and the Relative-of-the-month as IC.

As for the overarching storyform, if it has one (or two), it could be that Snicket (the narrator) is lumped in with the Baudelaires as MCs–they’re all dealing with the loss of a loved one. In the novels (which, I admit, I haven’t read in several years) the novels were the result of Snicket’s investigation into the Baudelaire case. So it could also be that Snicket is the MC and the Baudelaires are the ICs in a second storyform that took place prior to writing the series.

You’ll notice that Snicket sort of straddles the line between real and imaginary. Daniel Handler certainly wanted you to think he existed. I’m inclined to believe that was for a reason. Snicket does this thing where he speaks directly to the reader, advising them to be cautious and think critically. So it could be that the overarching storyform is doubled in a similar way to The Princess Bride, with the Baudelaires (MCs) & their Guardians (ICs) in the ‘inner story’ and the Reader (MC) & Snicket (IC) in the ‘outer story’. Snicket acting ad hoc guardian for his abandoned readers, to ensure real children are prepared to avoid the tragedies depicted in the books. But that would certainly be atypical, possibly impossible, in Dramatica. I’m not sure.

If the MC’s UA was Interdiction, for example, that would explain Snicket’s attempts to get the reader to ‘read something happier.’

As for the movie, like many book adaptations, it seemed to have broken something. I’m thinking it tried to lump the ICs from the first 3 storyforms into 1, creating a partial argument, and it was relatively devoid of Snicket’s narration. The recent television series, in which Snicket was an actual character, seemed to fare better.

1 Like

Thanks @lovenote . I haven’t read the book. I’ve only seen the film. I plan to make a concrete analysis of the Storyform of the film.