Difference between Linear and Holistic problem solving

@Etherbeard, starting a new thread for this one.
This page has a lot of good articles that discuss the difference between Holistic and Linear problem solving.

When you say:

Those articles explain that, in the MEST quad, the LPS sits on Space meaning he sees space as fixed and measures the rest of the quad in relation to that and then has to make a second measurement in order to get time. HPS sit on time and measure that first before measuring space. So each problem solving style looks at both Space and Time, but the way they see things is affected by how they measure them, or in what order they measure them. This difference causes LPS to see states of things, structures, paths, etc and HPS see processes, relationships, and balance.

3 Likes

Sherlock rattles off how he arrived at a deduction, and we see all the pieces come together in his mind as he goes through them. IMHO, a holistic problem solver would rattle off how everything is related now, projecting how it will work together coming up. The before is only a mass, an embroidery piece seen as a whole.

Right or wrong, I don’t know for sure. After reading the posts, this popped up in my brain. Food for thought, I guess.

1 Like

I don’t know the theory behind this other than having come across the statement that Timelocks are Goal-oriented. LPS are also goal oriented where HPS are more direction or current oriented. The way I try to make sense of it is if you are looking at a problem through the lens of Space, it makes sense to explore all available space (Spacelock) or to explore as much as you can while that space is available (Timelock). But if you look at things from the lens of Time and you look primarily at processes, it makes sense to let that process play out. To cut the process short just because a certain amount of time has passed doesn’t let you see if that process would have solved the problem if the process needs more time. I don’t know if that checks out with the theory, though.

Holistic characters focus on what an event/act means rather than what the event/act actually is at face value. So, it isn’t circular thinking, but more like…association driven. It looks like ‘bigger picture’ thinking but it isn’t bigger picture thinking. It’s more like associations that are being triggered to think of related events/actions.

To put it another way: it’s like having mini-brainstorm sessions on a daily basis.

I speak from experience :wink:

2 Likes

I’d also say that timelock works well with holistic characters…it isn’t incongruent. Indeed, it creates more tension for a holistic character because they can’t control or direct their mini-brainstorms so if you put them under pressure of a timelock plot, they are gonna be sweating bullets and praying for answers.

2 Likes

Sounds like balance and relationships. Thanks for the insights!

Maybe so. I’m much more linear so can’t speak to that, but above I was speaking more to the idea that HPS don’t empathize well with a character in a timelock and why that might be.

Ok, let’s see…

why would an HPS character not empathise well with a character in a timelock crunch?

Let’s break it down.

Those who can but don’t:
Immaturity. Age. Lack of experience. Lack of effort. Laziness. Too self-absorbed. Too arrogant. Controlling. Hypocrit. Nag. Attention-seeker. Take your pick. Great versatile bunch for comedy, drama, thriller, action.

Then you get the ones who can’t empathise: the narcissitic psycho. Great for horror genre.

The ones who pretend to empathise: Manipulative purposes which is great for a psycho-thriller.

ooh, then you get the ones who refuse and just won’t: usually motivated by revenge, bitterness or resentment. Long suffering partner. Great drama.

Then you have the bunch who don’t have the capacity because they’re plate is all filled-up…illness, mental or physical conditions, over-burdened. Family drama is good here.

The list can go on…but I’ll stop there.

I don’t know if I am answering anything for you, but I hope so :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I appreciate your list and wish you WOULD go on. I think it is fantastic how you note the genre plot patterns. It is a help to me. I wish we could come up with which gists go with them, too.

3 Likes

Reading through more of those articles, I’m reminded that HPS look at dynamics and thus the ruler they use can be flexible (or dynamic), which surely must apply to why an HPS with a Timelock doesn’t seem to reach an HPS audience and why HPS are said to see time as flexible. A set amount of time doesn’t allow for a flexible time ruler. It’s a better description than what I had, but still a fairly theoretical view.

1 Like

Interesting article on how narcissism and pyschopathy do and do not overlap.

I think what @Gregolas was referring to was that Holistic Problem-solving audience members don’t generally empathize well with a character in a Timelock, just like Linear Problem-solving audience members don’t generally empathize with a Holistic Main Character, based on the idea of Audience Reach.

1 Like

Thanks @RailwayAdventurer, that is a correct assessment of my meaning. I probably should have been more clear. That also clears up what Anne was getting at in reply to me as well. Thanks for that.

2 Likes

That was not clear but hey, at least sticking to characters, it benefitted someone. Plus, I had fun considering the character options :slight_smile:

And, you know, if it’s humans @Gregolas is actually referring to, I disagree that women don’t enjoy action/thrillers (usually timelock plots) but yeah, there will be more men in the audience. Rambo type plots defo aren’t hugely appealing.

3 Likes

Actually, is Rambo timelock? It’s been a while but I think it’s optionlock.

2 Likes

I don’t know that action/thrillers are usually timelocks. When referring to women/HPS audience members not being able to empathize with an MC in a Timelock, I’m speaking directly to what’s in the theory (audience reach specifically-if you have an HPS MC in a Timelock story, the Audience Reach is no one). But to be clear, that doesn’t mean that a predominantly Holistic minded person can’t enjoy a movie with a Timelock, but that it’s harder to put themselves in the MC’s shoes.

As a person with a predominantly Linear PSS, theory says I shouldn’t be able to empathize with Holisitc MCs (just like HPS aren’t supposed to be able to empathize with an MC in a Timelock). But there are movies and shows with Holistic MCs that I really enjoy. For instance, I enjoy watching the Handmaids Tale with my wife (even if I feel a bit dirty after seeing it and can only take one episode at a time—and it’s not a great example because I don’t know that it’s a GAS) and I suspect the MC is Holisitc, but I cannot put myself in June’s shoes as a character the way I would a more linear MC. Same with Sixth Sense. One of my favorite movies, but the MC is holistic and I empathize more with Cole than I do Malcolm Crowe.

2 Likes

We really can’t make any generalizations about the genres of timelocks. There are only 15 in Dramatica’s database, and they appear to cover a wide variety vof genre’s. Looking at the list, it’s hard to even imagine most of them as “guy flicks.”

4 Likes

This may be a bit of a sidetrack, but I’m curious about whether, in stories where the Main Character has the opposite Problem-Solving Style to the viewer, that viewer then tends to empathize with the Influence Character or even see the Influence Character as the “real main character.”

5 Likes

Great question. I’ve pondered the same thing. After a quick glance at the Dramatica Analysis page, I’d say it probably plays out that way a good percentage of the time, but is definitely not a hard and fast rule.

2 Likes

When I saw this comic, I thought of this discussion. Holistic problem solvers have traditionally enjoyed working with linear problem solvers… haha. https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/familycircus/s-2166061

1 Like