Differences between main character and influence character

If the mc growth is start
Is the ic growth stop?

If the mc is a doer
Is the ic are beer?

If the mc is a linear problem solver
Is the ic a holistic problem solver?

If the mc is at peace by the story’s end
Is the ic not at peace by the story’s end?

Well, in romances the IC is most of the times very upbeat about the current life. How you want the MC and IC to be at the end is your choice and freedom. The storyforming can be jiggled and jiggled to make it happen…or at least so it won’t be noticed by the audience too much…haha.

The first three are usually correct - the last isn’t about the Main Character - it’s about the STORY Judgment - the author’s emotional assessment of the efforts to resolve the inequity of the story.

This is often confusing the way it’s presented though. Is it correct to say that the audience usually understands the story judgement (author’s intent) by looking at the emotional state of the MC at the end of the story?

Or to rephrase – are there other ways to indicate the story judgement?

There are lots of way to indicate Story Judgment, but I think it’s easiest through the Main Character’s emotional state in regards to his or her personal Throughline.

2 Likes

@jhull are the main character growth , approach, and problem solving style only show through the mc and ic throughline or the effects diffuse into the rest of the story?

The MC Growth, Approach and Problem-Solving style are specifically tied to the Main Character - the IC seems to balance that out by taking the “opposite” point. Resolve is the final one and that definitely is a case of one taking one side and one taking the other.

These are dynamics that set the engine into motion - they determine your way through the model of the Mind. A Linear problem-solver will take a different path than a Holistic problem-solver. Same with Do-er vs. Be-er.

So yes, it does diffuse out into the rest of the story.

Thanks. Things makes things clear. Another question. I’m having a challenge differentiating between mc approach and mc problem solving style

Here’s what I mean:

Mc approach - doer - take action first then decision second

Be-er - make a decision first then take an action

mc problem solving style

Linear - action first then thought later

Holistic - thought first then action later

is it possible to have an mc who’s a be-er and a linear problem solver.

I guess my understanding will get better with time as I become more familiar with the elements but that’s how I understand it.

I don’t see a major difference between mc approach and problem solving style I feel like it’s the same thing.

mc approach of door is pretty much mc linear problem solving style in my mind

If you search on the Dramatica analysis filter site (or on Jim’s Subtext site) you can put in both terms (e.g. a Linear Be-er or vice versa) and find tons of examples that might help.

This is a common assumption—particularly among Linear thinkers :wink:

Approach is external/internal
Problem-Solving Style is cause & effect/relationships

If I speak up in class, then everyone is going to make fun of me, so I’ll pretend that I understand what the teacher is talking about (Linear Be-er)

There’s something wrong about the house—I’m going to open all the windows, put on my favorite music from the 90s, make myself something healthy to eat and stretch. There…I fixed the house. (Holistic Do-er)

8 Likes

We could Interpret Sherlock Holmes that way. He waits around for a case to come to him, usually, then does his linear thing. Oops That would be if he was telling the story and not Watson, of course.