Do-er/Be-er and Driver

Hello all,

I originally posted this question in the “Theory” section of this site. Not quite sure how that happened.

I think since this is a question that is perplexing me, I might be better served to put this in the “Question” section. Admins, please feel free to delete my other topic in the “Theory” section if this poses any sort of problem.

Anyhow…

I was a longtime member of the old (and now defunct) Dramatica Mailing List, an email discussion group. I can’t believe it took me so long to find this community. I simply didn’t know it existed until I started watching the Dramatica Users Group Story Analysis videos @jhull posts to his YouTube channel.

I see a few very familiar names. I’m Rod Jones, by the way. Nice to see you all again!

After all these years with Dramatica, I still struggle with the relationship between the MC Approach and the Story Driver. I think my confusion is largely due to sporadic use of the software and several different periods in my life when I spent years away from Dramatica or even thinking about it/studying it.

I find myself confused with the notion that a Do-er MC is uncomfortable in a Decision story, or that a Be-er is uncomfortable in an Action story. Presumably, in a Decision story, decisions precipitate/drive/force actions… I’m finding it difficult to see why a Do-er would be uncomfortable in a story where Actions are being forced. Since Actions are a Do-er’s forte, why would he be uncomfortable having to act? In the polar opposite situation, why would a Be-er have qualms about making decisions?

Does the discomfort arise from a Do-er or Be-er feeling forced into something rather than being able to make their own choice?

It’s great to be here and see some friendly faces again… Any help would be appreciated!

Rod

it’s more that they’re uncomfortable–or unsuited–to help move the Overall Story along. After an Act Break, the energy there will eventually die out and a Story Driver will have to be put into place to move into the next Act (Signpost). An MC with an opposite Approach to the Story Driver will feel uncomfortable in that moment.

I do appreciate your reply on this, Jim. I’m still just really fuzzy on this topic. For the life of me I can’t seem to get why someone who prefers to take action would be uncomfortable having to do just that.

This topic came to the fore again in my other post about Tendency, so it brought back all the confusion I still have, evidently, about Do-ers in Decision stories and vice versa.

Why does a Do-er (in a Decision story) feel uncomfortable Doing? Not trying to be obstinate here. I just really want to fully grasp this concept.

Uncomfortable or unwilling from the Author’s point-of-view to do what is necessary to push the plot forward. You have to see it from the Author’s perspective, not the characters themselves. It’s not that the Main Character is unwilling or uncomfortable – just from “God’s” point of view.

Ahh, maybe I’m starting to get it. The Do-er in a Decision story feels more like the Actee rather than the Actor? and a Be-er in an Action story feels more like the Be-ee (weird, I know) than a Be-er?

I literally have no idea what you mean by that lol

What I meant is… in a Decision story, the Do-er feels more like the one being acted upon, rather than the one taking action. And in the opposite scenario, the Be-er feels more like a passenger being forced to jump from the train, when all he wants to do is sit around and “be.”

I don’t know, maybe I’m way off, lol.