Do-er/Be-er and their comfort levels (according to Driver)

Hello all,

I was a longtime member of the old (and now defunct) Dramatica Mailing List, an email discussion group. I can’t believe it took me so long to find this community. I simply didn’t know it existed until I started watching the Dramatica Users Group Story Analysis videos @jhull posts to his YouTube channel.

I see a few very familiar names. I’m Rod Jones, by the way. Nice to see you all again!

Anyhow…

After all these years with Dramatica, I still struggle with the relationship between the MC Approach and the Story Driver. I think my confusion is largely due to sporadic use of the software and several different periods in my life when I spent years away from Dramatica or even thinking about it/studying it.

I find myself confused with the notion that a Do-er MC is uncomfortable in a Decision story, or that a Be-er is uncomfortable in an Action story. Presumably, in a Decision story, decisions precipitate/drive/force actions… I’m finding it difficult to see why a Do-er would be uncomfortable in a story where Actions are being forced. Since Actions are a Do-er’s forte, why would he be uncomfortable having to act? In the polar opposite situation, why would a Be-er have qualms about making decisions?

Does the discomfort arise from a Do-er or Be-er feeling forced into something rather than being able to make their own choice?

It’s great to be here and see some friendly faces again… Any help would be appreciated!

Rod

I haven’t thought about it too deeply, but my instincts have always said that the discomfort comes from the story moving forward in a way that is alien to the MC. A Do-er is comfortable acting to make changes – she’s trying to solve the problem by doing. But progress towards the solution – and when I say progress, I mean “act change” – happens via decision. So, while they are comfortable with the forced actions, they are still using left-handed scissors.

Thanks, @MWollaeger.

Your words make sense. I’m just trying to get a clearer understanding of this issue.

It seems to me that I didn’t used to have trouble with this particular aspect of Dramatica, until recently when I asked myself why a Do-er would be uncomfortable being forced to act.

Your approach does clarify things a bit… I suppose I’m just searching for something concrete I can get my head around!

Another way to think about it is this: if a fence was broken, and you were ready to grab your tools and go fix it, and your neighbor wanted to sit and talk about what to do – how readily would you want to have that conversation? I mean, you already have a solution ready to go.

Upon further thought I think this question of mine might be better suited to the “Questions” section of the site, so I’ll repost there for further discussion. I’m not sure how to delete this thread from the theory section, otherwise I would.

Apologies if this creates a problem.

Rod