Do you have to encode the effect of a conflict?

Or is it enough to say “I want a car but I don’t have a car”? I would think being unable to accomplish the desire is enough to be a conflict.

Then again, maybe not having a car isn’t enough to count as conflict since I don’t see illustrations that look so simple as Desire + Not Having Desired Thing. Maybe the source of the problem is having no money, which prevents procuring the car. "I want a car but lack the money to buy one, therefore I have no car."

If you have to add a result of that conflict for a proper encoding, does it have to be something that fuels the conflict, like a reason why the conflict can’t be solved immediately?
Ex. MC wants a car. MC doesn’t have a car, therefore, MC can’t get to work to earn the money to get the car.

1 Like

Conflict is the smoke that indicates the fire of the underlying inequity. People usually won’t see the problem or the inequity (fire) unless they’re right on top of it. Smoke is what they notice.

For example, when someone is addicted to cigarettes and sneaks them whenever they can somewhere out of sight, those around them usually notice the smoke or smoke smell and deduce that there is trouble.

3 Likes

When I have to write an illustration for, say, a Domain or Issue, is the smoke the example of that story point or something else? For the smoking example, is the proper illustration something like, “A smoker wants to quit but is addicted” or “A smoker who is tired of being criticized for smoking tries to hide the habit, but always forgets about the smoke, which people see and then go criticize the smoker for it.”?

I was using smoke as an analogy for conflict.

Show the conflict, as opposed to just saying, “There’s a problem.”

For example…

Marsha huffs impatiently.
MARSHA: Are you ready yet?
NELSON: Yeah.
Marsh walks up to him and then backs away in disgust.
MARSHA: You smoking again? I’m not going anywhere with a walking ashtray.
NELSON: (obviously lying) I don’t know what you’re talking about…
MARSHA: I’m going to the party. We’ll talk about this when I get back.
Marsha storms out.
The sound of a car starting and driving away is heard.
Nelson lights up.

Apart from my lame dialogue, the emotional tension indicates the underlying conflict. The intensity could be amped up or lessened, depending on how obvious you want to be.

1 Like

I wasn’t thinking of actually writing “I want a car” in a finished story but just trying to make sure that when I encode something in the storyform early in development that I’m answering “why is this a problem?”

That IS the correct question to answer, but you’ll also need to indicate the desire for the car. If this is a change MC, you’ll need to reveal both components packed into “I want a car”: WANT and CAR and the unresolved inequity between the two.

BTW, one or both of them (want and car) may have a significant backstory that indicates why neither is easy to dismiss.

2 Likes

Sorry to butt in on this fine conversation. @chuntley I would like to ask, if the MC were steadfast, what would we need to reveal using the same “I want a Car” example? Many thanks.

So, then “I want a car, but I don’t have a car” is ok?

I’m not sure what’s explicitly required to count as “proper encoding”, but to have dramatic potential you definitely need to take it to the next level. As yourself, why doesn’t he just get a car? Is he too poor, already working two jobs to support to his ailing mother? Does he follow a strict ideology that prevents him from fulfilling material desires? Is he afraid to drive?

Those kinds of answers are how the author puts their personal stamp on the story appreciation elements, and required for story encoding to be worthwhile IMO.

1 Like

I’m thinking of the basic parts like when you wrote Desire + Thing that Can’t Co-exist = Conflict, but I thought that one also had to include a problematic result like (using the idea that the character is too poor to afford the car) add something like “this causes the character to start stealing.”

sorry to but in, but the way you make desire a problem is just to show how desire is causing conflict within the story.

-My desire for a car has driven me to become a thief.
John: I can’t believe it. My desire for a car has driven me to take money from the church offering plate. I’m so ashamed. I’m so conflicted.

-My desire for a car causes others to see me as shallow and materialistic.
John: I sure would like a new car._
Marsha: You already have a car. There are people who are starving to death as we speak and all you can talk about is this new car you want. You’re so shallow and materialistic. I’m going to hang out with Gary. He just spent three hours helping out at the homeless shelter giving his time freely.
John hangs head in shame.

-My desire for a car is clouding my judgment.
John: I sure would like a new car.
Pharmacist: Sorry, pal. I don’t sale cars. I fill prescriptions. If you want these psychotropics, you’ll need to pay me this much for them.
John: But if I pay you that much, I won’t be able to afford a new car for another month. I think I’ll just hold off on the psychotropics until then, thanks.

Actually, I’m not sure this one quite works. Being a thief is creating conflict in this one. Maybe something more like:
-My desires for a car is leading me to consider stealing.
John: I can’t believe I’m considering taking money from the collection plate. This is not who I am. Should I do it? I really want that car, but if I do this, there’s no putting it back…
John reaches into the plate.

1 Like

I think I’ve got something better. I’m thinking of encodings for the Instant Dramatica section:

The lonely characters desire a sense of belonging (Subconscious) but fear relationships due to painful memories (Mind), so the characters shy away from fixing or forming relationships that could alleviate their loneliness and fear.

This has the conflict (wanting and fearing relationships) plus a result (avoidance, which is also my OS Problem).

1 Like

This reminds me of Sea of Love in part, one of the husband’s favorite films, so had it going on in the background while doing stuff…haha.

1 Like