Does the Consequence always have to be negative in a Failure story?

I’m writing a dystopian Failure story (with a Good judgment). I’ve actually started to see the Story Goal as something that all the characters THINK they want and are therefore striving for but really it isn’t good for them at all. So it’s a blessing in disguise that the story goal is not achieved (although they won’t see it that way).

The Consequence is a pretty harmful consequence, but better than the Story Goal as far as their wellbeings are concerned. It’s also very good for the Protagonist/MC.

So, my question:
Does the Consequence always have to be a negative event/circumstance etc., in a Failure story?

2 Likes

No.
See “How to Train your Dragon”

4 Likes

Thanks!

(I have to type more to be allowed to only say that :slight_smile: )

Nope ! Of course you must have more or less people that are for the Goal (on the Protagonist side) as well as against it (on the Antagonist side) as to avoid a storyline that feels too predictable. As reprehensible as the Goal may be, not achieving it results in Failure either way : how you portray the Consequence is entierely up to you.
Just remember : there’s an inequity at the heart of the story. Even if the Goal ends up, according to you, not being good for them at all ; only achieving this goal through the use of the OS Solution would bring an end to this inequity. So even if the Consequence ends up being better for them according to your Story Judgment, it won’t bring equity like a Success Story and won’t feel as triumphant as a result. How much you convey that is up to you, but it’s still there.
(As far as the OS is concerned, I’m not sure but not achieving the Goal wouldn’ bet a good thing for the Protagonist : he is defined by his role as a Pursue / Consider character and can’t objectively be good about it. However it’s a different matter for the MC who may, subjectively, feel good about it.)

As @bobRaskoph said, take a look at HTTYD as well as this article : https://narrativefirst.com/articles/when-failure-becomes-a-good-thing

1 Like

Oh my goodness! I wonder how I missed that article, seeing as I’ve scoured everything (or so I thought:)) Thank you!

I’m getting around this weekend to HTTYD too.

2 Likes

Roman Holiday also has a positive consequence. Joe decides not to pursue the big story he wanted. As a result, Anya’s secret is maintained and her experience allows her to become more mature/less naive.

1 Like