Does this sound Linear or Holistic?

…When a Main Character prefers adapting himself to the environment over working directly in the external environment to resolve problems, he is a Be-er. Dramatica.com dictionary

This sounds like an over the top adapting…haha

Wouldn’t McGyver types be beers? Sometimes they are positive solvers and sometimes they are characters causing harm. Or are they doers?

Even though the method is unorthodox, it still seems Linear to me. “He always drives this road, so I’ll dig a hole for him to drive into.”

I’ve heard stories from friends about an elderly relative remarrying - the new spouse purposefully created dangerous situations throughout the house in order to ‘expedite’ collecting the inheritance. It would rarely be just one hazard, and none of them on their own could guarantee an accident, but all together the hazards greatly increased the chances of tragedy. This strikes me as a holistic “assassin.”

Holistic problem solvers (as do-ers, anyways) modify the environment in such a way that they believe it will eventually deliver the result they want, even if they don’t know or care exactly how it will happen. If the characters can tell you exactly how they expect it to go, step-by-step, they might be Linear.

I would think McGyver is a do-er. He doesn’t get out of the situation by changing his attitude, or letting go of an obsession - he escapes by altering objects in the environment, “I’ll combine this and this and this, and voila!” External solutions.

1 Like