Dramatica and mental health

I stumbled upon a meme of David Lynch with a quote: “I don’t know why people expect art to make sense when they accept the fact that life doesn’t make sense.”

Now, I feel let down by myself every time a let something inconsequential annoy me. But since this touched very close to a thing I feel very passionate about, I had to find a place to vent and gather my thoughts.

It seems to me as though people’s attraction toward thinly-structured or non-structured storytelling is based on this staunch belief that that’s what art is all about and no structuralist should come ruin that – I’m sure this isn’t a giant revelation on this forum. But I often end up wondering what’s going on on a deeper level; what makes someone so satisfied with senselessness while someone else seeks meaning in stories like the last drop of desert dew?

I know this statement can seem highly elitistic, but I trust people on this forum who know Dramatica understand my intent is not elitistic, but:

Could it be that the “attraction” of senseless storytelling is based on people’s internal worlds being scattered and filled with unresolved contradictions, and this state of mind finding a mirror in badly structured, or intentionally non-structured stories? Now, I’m not denouncing the joys of pure, unhinged storytelling. But it’s not far fetched to say that a well-structured story “thinks” clearly; and clear thinking is mighty difficult – it’s exhausting. It’s not an accident that we labor so intensely on the arrangement of the plots of our stories. To create a plot that carries a complete meaning with no holes or odd tangents is hard work.

And it could be, that to a creature like us that likes to justify itself, many people might not be very keen on ideas about story that challenge you to think – not just of your story but yourself.

I’m not in the least saying that people with a more structuralist approach are inherently better thinkers approaching some ideal state of perfect flow of thought. We’re all imperfectly thinking creatures. That’s part of the reason why we labor on stories: to have the “explanation” of life put outside of our imperfect minds in a consumable form. But to actually go the distance and do the necessary work to have a story must have some consequences on the mind compared to a more scattered, “free” approach.

I actually have plenty of first hand evidence of this having suffered from major depression for years.

Having learned about Dramatica six years ago and used it quite intensely ever since, I feel like I’ve become a way better thinker overall compared to when I started jotting down words in an attempt to turn them into something called a story. I’d actually go as far as saying Dramatica’s “challenge” to learn to think more holistically – and to think about what I was thinking (Thinkception?) – was instrumental in getting rid of the worst parts of my depression, and getting me as far as being able to say I’m not depressed anymore compared to the days when I started out. I think this simply must be the case, because just using Dramatica forces you to build new pathways; and once those pathways are built, they start to affect your personal life – not just the quality of your stories in the eyes of others.

What I really love about Dramatica’s magic is that it’s not just an instrument for writing stories for others, but it’s a companion pushing you to better yourself. I’m a big believer in great stories requiring the writer’s personal life in the mix, in addition to the storytelling talent to put it in a culture-specific, non-subjective form for others to marvel at.

5 Likes

Ironically I think it comes down to justification.

It is my opinion that the greatest source of unhappiness is unmet expectations. We expect life to be a certain way and when it doesn’t work out that way we can either redouble our efforts, change our approach, change our goals or give up in anger, frustration and/or resentment.

Declaring that life doesn’t make sense “frees” us from the responsibility of taking ownership of the problem which continues to remain (in Dramatica terms) justified.

3 Likes

Probably one of the most beautiful, honest things I have ever read. Thank you so much for sharing.

2 Likes

Forgot to thank you! Had a couple of rough weeks and your comment basically did half the job of pulling me out of it.

1 Like

And, wow…took this long to sink in. Pure poetry.

1 Like

I’m delighted you found it helpful. I know what it’s like to walk the edge of that pit.

Two years ago my 21-year old son turned his car into a gas chamber and threw away a life full of truly amazing promise.

Even now, each day is like walking through a hidden minefield of grief. You never know when your world will explode and take your legs out from under you.

Stay strong, brother.

Wow… my deepest condolences! @JAPartridge

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. So insightful and heartfelt.

By the way, that meme can be combated with a quote from Tom Clancy: “The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense.” I firmly believe that fiction is meaningless if it doesn’t make sense. That’s one of many, many reasons why Dramatica is so great.

2 Likes

Wow… Love that quote!

Hi guys. Khodu here. I happened to have a case at the hospital where I work. I’m a doctor. We made a diagnosis of Affective disorder with major depression. We were having some trouble getting him to take his meds and generally get out of depression. Guess what I did. Yup. I excused myself from the meeting and went to my computer. Created a storyform and voila! I saw the solution right before my eyes. It was amazing. The software predicted his Unique ability. He’s an Alhaji. His dreams have a way of coming true he said. His wife confirmed this as well. The software predicted his ability of dream before I interviewed him. I was just geeking out at work. Anyways, just thought to share this experience as well.

5 Likes

Very cool! I’ve been pondering whether Dramatica could be used in this manner.

Thank you. Your powerful sharing leaves me with few words, but know it gives hope that lives can rebuild. I am so sorry for your pain and loss.

1 Like

Hi Khodu, a bit later but just stumbled over your reply tonight. Could you explain how you did it, and how it can be done to predict future events from reality? Jim and Melanie started on this topic but unfortunately it never continued. What are the assumptions you take to get the progression? Sometimes I see situations in my real life and ask myself, how this might continue - and even better - how this might end? Thanks in advance.

What the hell is the value of art if not to join the dialogue in trying to understand this world??

Hi @Gernot. It’s pretty much the same as any storyforming. The primary assumption for me was to consider the most of the common symptoms and associations with the conditions. Bearing those in mind, I asked my patient personal questions along the lines of concerns and narrowed down based on the broad strokes of concerns to Issues and we were able to nail the problems. It’s just storyforming. Well it’s a bit more time consuming because I usually explore all the TYPES with leading questions to nail the broad stokes and then go down as I nail some answers. Sometimes I ask random questions along the lines of their FOCUS. To see if they might have an idea where they feel their issues are coming from. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I think you’d enjoy the movie Mumford. It’s a relatively lighthearted take on the process of therapy.

1 Like