Dramatica and Non-Fiction

Has anyone here used Dramatica theory to write non-fiction articles or books? Does anyone know of articles describing strategies or tips for using Dramatica theory for non-fiction?

I just I read this blurb in the theory book (http://dramatica.com/questions/can-i-use-dramatica-to-craft-a-non-fiction-book) which suggests Dramatica could be used in non-fiction meant to persuade (forming an argument to pose and answer a question within the storyform.) So for instance, one might be able to use Dramatica in writing a proposal or response to one–for instance to create a complete argument as to why one should be hired or given a grant or scholarship. Thoughts? Anyone try this?

Carry this further, one can imagine structuring a non-fiction book outlining a theory or polemic, like what Christopher Alexander’s Pattern Language does for architecture. Thoughts?

1 Like

I’ve considered using it to organize my speeches for Toastmasters, but I’ve never actually bit the bullet on that one. As you say, Dramatica is fundamentally about the construction of arguments, so I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. The Main Character would be you, the speaker, I assume, and the Influence Character would be dissenters in your audience.

On occasion, I’ve used it to organize blog posts, but not to the full extent. For example, I would create four paragraphs and organize them around Past, Present, Progress, and Future, or by Understanding, Doing, Obtaining, and Learning.

Once a year at my workplace there is a charity drive for The United Way which supports smaller local charities. Last year a guy came to speak who helps run one of these charities. It provides support and schooling for single moms, and he told the story of a particularly troublesome woman who was really struggling and whose life they totally turned around.

It was a wonderful story, had me blinking back tears by the end. I could see all four throughlines very clearly – the speaker was Steadfast but he definitely wavered and Grew by his involvement with her, while she Changed for the better. There was a bigger overall story of the charity itself and its struggle to help the community. Most of all there was the relationship story between the speaker and the woman, which grew from a kind of principal-and-difficult-student relationship, to a lasting friendship. She ended up getting a job working at the charity!

Anyway it was definitely non-fiction that was helped by having four clear throughlines (esp. the RS). I don’t know how “deep” it went, maybe only to the Concern level, but it was deep enough. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @actingpower. Do you select a particular order driven by some Storyforming selections? Sort of like a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th act? Or do you just pick an order that feels good with your message content?

Wow, @mlucas. A powerful way to prepare and structure a speech. I’m amazed how many many ways there are to apply this work/theory/structure.

It would be interesting to read the text of this speech. I struggle with RS story line all the time.

1 Like

Nah, nothing like that. I just use it because having all four parts of a quad makes it feel complete.

Currently, I’m trying to do this. I’m struggling to write fiction because there is a non-fiction-book in my head that needs to be written first. It is an opinion piece, and I want it to be well-balanced, viewing the issue from all possible sides. Seems like a job for Dramatica.

Still, I am struggling to implement it. How do I do this?

Much of the Dramatica results end up in the subtext of the novel or screenplay. Wouldn’t you agree that this is different in an opinion piece? Wouldn’t these be much more explicit in such a work?

1 Like