Dramatica and The Sedona Method

Hale Dwoskin’s “The Sedona Method” is both a book and a separate self-improvement audio course. It basically teaches you how to let go of negative emotions, etc, to improve your life and moods. Great stuff, definitely useful.

Anyway, the Sedona Method puts forth the idea that all feelings and beliefs come from one of 4 separate wants (a quad, interestingly enough.)

According to SM, those wants are Approval, Control, Security, and Separation/Oneness.

I’ve been seeing a lot of similarities between SM’s exploration of its “wants” and Dramatica’s quad structure.

Approval is simply wanting the approval of others: love, respect, or recognition, those sorts of things.

Control is simply wanting to control your life, or not wanting to be controlled by outside forces (other people or situations).

Security is wanting to be safe or on steady ground.

Separation/Oneness is similar to Dramatica’s Component/Collective perspectives on the elements in a quad. Sometimes we want to be individuals. Other times we want to feel like we’re part of a group.

There’s a lot more to SM besides the 4 wants, but the other aspects are beyond the scope of this question. I want to focus specifically on this interesting quad of things and how Dramatica would view them.

I’m bringing this up because I’ve found SM useful, and then noticed the similarity to Dramatica’s theory that everything under a specific umbrella can be arranged into a quad. So I’m trying to figure out how each of SM’s 4 wants would fit into a quad. Specifically I’m trying to figure out which one corresponds to Mass/Knowledge, which to Energy/Thought, which to Space/Ability, and which to Time/Desire.

This isn’t an advertisement for The Sedona Method. I want to focus more on how it works in terms of Dramatica. Now that I’m slowly gaining a deeper understanding of the Dramatica Theory, I’ve begun applying it to other aspects of my life, and I’m starting to see quads everywhere I look! (Kind of fun, really).

So, given the 4 wants I’ve described… just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to how they’d be arranged into a Dramatica-compatible quad?

Interesting, I found another quad for the communication quadrate from Friedemann Schulz von Thun (in german speaking countries very popular communication model). The model states that every message sent from a sender can contain four different messages for the receiver.

Self-revelation
Factual information
Appeal
Relationship

Example:
A couple together in the car. He shouts »Attention, traffic lights are red.«
In this statement you can find 4 different messages
Factual information: The traffic light is red
Relationship: You need my help to drive the car
Appeal: I don’t trust you
Self-revelation: I am afraid you crash the car

I also was trying to map each element to “the pure level of the story mind” as it is described in Melanies video on youtube (25min).

But I am not sure if this really works:
Self-revelation (Need) vs Factual information (Can)
Appeal (Should) vs Relationship (Want)

Looks like it could be a variation on Timothy Leary’s Circumplex model.