Dramatica Story Expert Instructional Video : Part 4 : Storyweaving

Looking at the demonstration videos that shipped with my Dramatica Story Expert and also at the one’s available online, I’m not seeing the Part 4: StoryWeaving video that was promised at the conclusion of Part 3: Story Illustrating video. Does anybody have an online link to that video? Or know how I can obtain it?

@MiggsEye There is Using the StoryGuide in Dramatica Story Expert and Making Storyforming Choices which are two out of the twelve videos available from this Dramatica Story Expert by Screenplay.com playlist which all give a great introductory walkthrough of DSE.

It does not exist because I did not create Part 4 (even though it is referenced). I never found a method satisfying enough that did not also sound like formula. Formulas make the process repeatable but limiting. Storyweaving has very few limitations.

The difficulty with Storyweaving is that there are a gazillion ways to weave a story, with none particularly better than another so long as:

1. The weaving includes enough story points for the audience to decode the storyform
  2. The weaving does not confuse the audience to the point where it cannot UN-weave the story.

@chuntley Thanks for the clarification and insight and when the your team gets a chance it would be great if a text annotation was added at that point within the video, e.g. for Dramatica Pro a text annotation could be added at this point Dramatica Training Video Part 3 - Illustrating.

1 Like

Thank you, Chris, for the clarification. I can see how that point of the process is a crossroads with various ways one can develop the story from there.

Getting a peak into the various processes that people develop from that point on would be enlightening. Perhaps someday these may leak out amongst users becoming more and more familiar with Dramatica and using it creatively.

Please, please, please give us a video regardless of how limiting. I found the videos helped me to use the software. But I got to Storyweaving and I am lost. I do not care about the gazillion ways to weave a story, I just need to see ONE way so I can get started.

If you want to see one way to storyweave, create a new file in Dramatica using one of the Structure Templates and then look to the storyweaving section. The main reason to use the structure templates is for the built-in storyweaving suggetsions.