Dramatica Terminogly Relationships

I’m trying to make sense of the relationships between, for example, the four words that describe a Domain; the Types. Then the four Variations that describe each Type and finally the four Elements under each of these. What is the relationship of the four words that relate to the word above it in the structure? Where can I read about this?

Not… totally sure what you mean, but I can try to explain as best as I can. The most obvious, I feel, is Universe (or Situation; the top-left Domain). What are all the different states of the Universe? The unchanging Past; the immediate Present; the distant Future; and the fluctuation of Progression. Understand all four of them, and you understand the totality of the Universe. The same goes for Mind: you have unchanging Memories; your immediate Contemplations; your distant Desires; and your fluctuating Responses. If you know all four of those, you know everything about that person’s Mind.

All of Dramatica’s terms map into the 2x2 square. The fundamental version of it is Knowledge, Thought, Desire, and Ability. And those four map onto… I’m sorry, I don’t quite remember, but I think it’s Matter, Time, Motion, and Energy, or something to that effect. It’s that totality that I think is so amazing about Dramatica. Dramatica is a Theory of Everything.

As to where you can read this, if it’s not in the main theory book, it’d be in the original, apocryphal version of the theory, which I believe is on Melanie’s website.

Thanks. I think you answered the question. I guess when you look at some of the four words on every level that describe the word above it, it seems I come away saying . . . Huh?

Respectively:

Universe <> Mind; Psychology <> Physics
Knowledge <>Thought; Desire <> Ability
Mass <> Energy; Time <> Space

So, LunarDynasty, I looked up your symbol “<>” (to figure out how to “say” your six equations below):

Universe <> Mind; Psychology <> Physics
Knowledge <>Thought; Desire <> Ability
Mass <> Energy; Time <> Space

The repeated definition for this mathematical symbol was “is not equal to.” Does that mean, then, that I should read these six equations thus:

Universe is not equal to Mind; Psychology is not equal to Physics.
Knowlege is not equal to Thought; Desire is not equal to Ability.
Mass is not equal to Energy; Time is not equal to Space?

Or, when I read these, is there some other phrase you had in mind to replace <>?

Pretty sure it’s supposed to be “is a Dynamic Pair with.”

1 Like

Ah, okay, I remember that now. So we’re not using the mathematical version of <>, but rather the Dramatica version. (In this forum’s context, that does make a lot more sense, huh?) Except the Dramatica definition wasn’t near the top of my Google search’s definitions… Anyway, thanks, actingpower!

Haha, I thought =/= meant “is not equal to”…

Yeah I was trying to imply dynamic pairs with double ended arrows. I guess it would have been more clear if I’d used something like <—>

Sorry for the long-delayed response, Brant, and yes, those little hyphens in the middle (<—> would’ve have definitely clued me into your meaning a bit faster. Thanks!

1 Like