DUG Potentials for 2017

Hi Guys,
Just a quick one. Creating this thread for all at Discuss.Dramatica to chip in which movies they’d like the Experts like Jim and Chris to review in the new year. Not sure if a thread like this exists but if so, my sincere apologies.

I’d like to see their expert breakdown of these few movies.

1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I feel this will help alot of would-be Fantasy authors. A Genre I haven’t seen much of on the Dramatica site and Narrative first.

2. A few Strong TV series. We’ve been seeing breakdowns of single movies so far. It would be nice to see their take on a strong, well written TV series of their choice. I would like to suggest something from Netflix, as they aren’t so long in most cases. 10-13 episodes. This would be of tremendous help for authors using Dramatica or considering how the theory would work with a series.
    And if they are feeling generous, they could do HBOs Game of Thrones.( highly doubt it but, I had to push my luck). I feel the Characters are very complex and will offer us a deeper look into how to implement character Elements.

So guys please chip in what you’d like to see.

Thanks Chris, Melanie for the best story theory ever. Thanks Jim for your endless passion and support for the community. Cheers.

2 Likes

Episodes of MASH, Breaking Bad, or Bojack Horseman might be good shows to try.

If we’re talking Netflix, I think all the Marvel properties have been pretty well done, but I’d like to see an analysis of Stranger Things.

1 Like

There was an attempt at LOTR at one point on this board.

I’ll second Breaking Bad and Stranger Things.

It would be awesome to do an entire series – just give everyone the assignment to binge watch over the month…hmmm…

1 Like

Another +1 for Stranger Things – when I watched this summer there definitely seemed to be some the potential for GAS’s. Also, it’s awesome.

I too want Stranger Things! I may send Jim to the upside down if he doesn’t watch it in full :wink:

2 Likes

Jim, can you rename this thread (with @Khodu’s permission) to something like “Analysis Suggestions 2017”).

Also, @khodu, so you’re not disappointed, I think Chris is releasing the new list tomorrow, so I’m not sure your list is going to make it under the wire…

Oh wow. That will be a big let down. I feel bad that its coming out late. But if Chris were to add at least one of these, it will be extremely great for the community at large. Stranger things is an excellent choice. I think one of the better ones too. Then there’s Showtimes’ The Affair. I have to recommend that as well. The script is too well done to ignore. Check out the reviews and the ratings. It’s dynamite. Thanks all.

No problem. Jim can change the group name to any topic that makes it standout more. Easier to find by everyone. Thanks guys.

Just to chip in, it will be a real high using Dramatica to predict what future season(s) might be if the Experts choose an ongoing TV series. That will be like the ultimate selling point for the theory and the software I think. It will be like the best kept secret(which it is btw) weapon EVER. Lol.

If there is a lot of interest for something (like Stranger Things) but it doesn’t make the DUG list we can always try to do an online analysis.

The Affair would be a really interesting / tricky one because each episode is divided into two, flipping the main character (and influence character usually) in each half, but going over many of the same events. The perspective change to a different MC is obvious because events are shown with different dialogue, clothing etc. (she will be sexier and more provocative when seen from his POV, for example). Dramatica would see each half as a separate storyform I think. Or maybe two storyforms but each represents the whole episode from a different point of view.

1 Like

Exactly my thinking. Now think about what kinda crazy lessons we could glean from the intricate storyweaving techniques. Not to talk of the storyencoding and so on. Don’t even know if I’d call it an Ensemble or not. The Experts will definitely be greatly challenged by The Affair. Not one for the pups. Lets see what the big dogs come up with.

Any “OS Concern = Contemplation” movies. 12 Angry Men & The Client are the only 2 such analyses that I’ve found.
Little Miss Sunshine
The Miracle Worker (1962)
A Man Called Ove
Other People’s Money (1991)
October Sky (1999)
Stand and Deliver (1988)
The Killing Fields (1984)
Doctor Zhivago
Midnight Run (1988)

For next year, my one request is for Toy Story 3.

On the Dramatica site, we have Toy Story (and there’s also Jim’s corrected version), Toy Story 2, but no concluding part. I’d like to see that one take its place on the site in 2018.

I agree. The thing with Toy Story 3 is that it actually has two storyforms - the one for the film itself and then the one for the entire series as well. Would be worth doing in the future though.

1 Like

So obviously it’s a bit too late now, but I would love to see an analysis of Hannibal, the TV show that was on NBC. Especially the second season, which was so satisfying to watch; I’m presuming it must have had a rather solid storyform underneath it.

1 Like

I would like to see an analysis of Circle, The Exam and The Invitation … not sure if they are necessarily good examples of Grand Argument stories though.

It’s really funny how we don’t have a Dramatica storyform for A Beautiful Mind. It’s one of the greats. Might we consider doing this movie as well? Thanks.

2 Likes

Just saw Get Out (2017). Would love to do an analysis of this soon to be horror/suspense classic.

1 Like