DUG: Stories for the New Decade

Season’s greetings guys.

It’s that time of the year. I thought to create this thread to remind us to submit any movies/books we would love to have an official analysis done for. Hopefully some will make the cut.

Have a blessed new year ahead.

1 Like

My suggestions for the new year are 2 books actually.
They aren’t long. They’re the first 2 books of a Trilogy by one of my favorite authors: Brandon Sanderson. They’re quite entertaining and have complete Storyforms for each book. No cliffhanger.
Plus it’ll be a delight if we can have Dramatica predict the overaching storyform for the entire series, thus guessing how book 3 might turn out.

The Books

1. Skyward.
Defeated, crushed, and driven almost to extinction, the remnants of the human race are trapped on a planet that is constantly attacked by mysterious alien starfighters. Spensa, a teenage girl living among them, longs to be a pilot. When she discovers the wreckage of an ancient ship, she realizes this dream might be possible—assuming she can repair the ship, navigate flight school, and (perhaps most importantly) persuade the strange machine to help her. Because this ship, uniquely, appears to have a soul.

2. Starsight.
Won’t leave a blurb here because y’know, potentially spoilery stuff.

Please DUG elders, let’s do more books this year.:grin:
And if it helps, we can do the audiobooks. The narration is stellar. The narrator won an award for her performance.

3 Likes

I really like the idea of doing more books. I think Chris already has a list of next years films ready to go. But that doesn’t mean we can’t do extracurricular activity here :grin:

4 Likes

Great idea @Khodu!

Randomly and in no particular order:

Zorba the Greek (book or movie) is a classic that I’m surprised hasn’t been analyzed yet as it has such a clear MC/IC/RS.

I think The Unbearable Lightness of Being would be interesting (book, not movie).

This year I read both 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 and would be interested in doing either or both (1984 is weird though).

Are there any Hal Hartley fans here? I feel like there could be a number of interesting early choices by him (Trust, The Unbelievable Truth, Henry Fool, Amateur).

Less classically, I’m still curious about the storyform for Lexicon by Max Barry.

Television: I suspect that either season of Jessica Jones has a story (but that’s more of a time commitment if you haven’t seen it).

@mlucas and anyone else I would still be interested in any or all of the Kieslowski Three Colors trilogy but I need to set aside time to rewatch.

5 Likes

Nice suggestions Lakis. I will carve out time to see the Three Colors Trilogy in a week or two. Sure would be interesting to decode them all.
Blue holds a 98% rating on the Rotten Tomatoes website, based on 43 reviews.The second part of the trilogy, White, was ranked with 88% based on 43 reviews, while its final film, Red, was certified “Fresh” and received 100% based on 51 reviews.

So it’s settled then. The Three Colors Trilogy story structure will be my first Storyform hunt for the year.

3 Likes

Excellent! I will set aside time to rewatch also!

Just to be clear – while the films are thematically related, each is it’s own story (with different characters), so there will be three different storyforms. We can choose which one to start with. Red is the last one and is (correctly) considered to be the best of the three but they’re all great in my opinion.

4 Likes

I’ll start with Blue. And then head on to White. Red is best and so I’m going to save that for the finale.

3 Likes

Hello @Lakis! Happy Holidays! I really love the idea about The Unbearable Lightness of Being. For me, it’s such an influential book, and the idea about eternal return is something I would like to explore.

2 Likes

Hi @Jenya!

I have successfully dug out my copy of Unbearable Lightness and will start re-reading!
Are there any other Kundera fans who would be interested in joining the conversation?

1 Like

I am really fond of Fahrenheit 451.

Also, does anyone wants to analyze Anna Karenina or War and Peace?

2 Likes

This is definitely accurate! I haven’t watched Red for 15+ years but I still get chills thinking about it. Also:

Semi-spoiler (not plot, but you may want to see the film first before reading this)

It probably has the most meaningful movie poster of all time!

3 Likes

Those would be amazing – but possibly too big a time investment. I absolutely loved War and Peace but it’s got to be a multi-storyform work. Anna Karenina is still on my list.

Fahrenheit 451 is pretty short and I think doable though if anyone else votes for it.

3 Likes

Most definitely. Will definitely do War and Peace. Been putting it off for so long. Perhaps because I wanted to do a double. I wanted to deconstruct Tolstoy’s style with Dramatica as I read. So I’ll do this sometime in the new year.

Great suggestion.

3 Likes

Great! I would definitely follow. I need to refresh my reading of the theory. Do you think I should maybe take some classes on it? Also, how about Don DeLillo’s White Noise? Or, for the short pieces would be cool to analyze Paula Fox’s Desperate Characters.

1 Like

Just wanted to jump in and mention that there is a real lack of Mind and Universe analyses.

So, if anyone reading this thread can think of Books, Movies or TV shows that might be in those Domains, they would be really beneficial in rounding things out.

I love all the suggestions so far!

3 Likes

@glennbecker My gut reaction when reading Fahrenheit 451 was that it was an OS Mind story. But I would need to look at it again to back that up.

I suspect you find more Mind stories in plays.

2 Likes

Definitely. To Kill A Mockingbird is a Mind story. There maybe more examples in novels as well. I can’t think of any offhand though.

2 Likes

Actually it would be great if someone else could read August in the Vanishing City and confirm mine and @Lakis opinion that it was OS Universe (along with the rest of the storyform we found – but probably best not to look at the thread until you read the book).

4 Likes

I’m in the process of reading it now actually!

3 Likes

I read the first few chapters and it strikes me totally as Universe.

2 Likes