Elf Storyform Analysis

Not elements - the actual storytelling.

Oh, you mean the Clausometer dial thing?

Which is presented as what kind of problem? (storytelling)

Well, at the beginning, theyā€™re running on low. Itā€™s almost on 0. I think Santa says itā€™s an energy crisis or something?

To expand: Santa says they need the spirit to make the sleigh fly, but they have basically none. By the end, the spirit meter is full again.

Itā€™s an energy crisis.

And what other family film has the same exact problem (came out just before it)?

Monsters, Inc.? Oh my god, how did I not make that connection?

Yep.

So whatā€™s the Problem in Monsters, Inc.?

On a storytelling level, the problem is that the kids are so desensitized that the monsters canā€™t generate enough fear.

Well, now I mean the actual Dramatica Storyform Problem.

Oh, the problem element in Monsters Inc is Cause.

Wow. Is this the same storyform as Whiplash? :smile:

Oh, thatā€™s funny. I thought it was the other way around (Effect) LOL.

But you can see how ripping that idea off from Monsters, Inc. led them to the dynamic pair of Cause and Effect:

Effect - focusing on the effects of the energy crisis
Cause - singing loud enough for everyone to hear

And with that, weā€™re done. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Something Iā€™m wondering about, Jim. The crucial elements would be Accurate for Buddy and Non-Accurate for Dad. Doesnā€™t that seem like it should be flipped? Buddy is always trying to get people out of their comfort zones and acting out, right? The Dad is the one whoā€™s more demanding and rigid.

Or is there a different way of looking at that?

Well that was efficient! I stepped away from the computer for a couple of hours and when I came back and it was all wrapped up!

I confess that Cause and Effect are a couple of Elements I have trouble wrapping my mind around.

3 Likes

Plug it in and EVERYTHING else falls into place:

IC
Effect - just worried about numbers for the quarter, no kid is going to notice
Cause - being there for someone
Value - i couldnā€™t care less if there are pages missing

OS
Ability - decorating the store, writing childrenā€™s books (the ā€œrealā€ elf LOL)

RS
Skill - singing, dating, throwing snowballs

MC
Proven - my dad doesnā€™t belong on the naughty-list
Fact - Santa Claus is real

1 Like

Well, what would sounds better for a Premise, if you were to put it into Subtext?

Keep moving towards being truthful and you can be festive (ring in the holiday spirit, etc.)

Keep moving towards being vague and misleading and you can be festiveā€¦

I like the former :slight_smile:

I didnā€™t intend to monopolize the analysis, I promise! I actually thought Jim was going to ask 600 other questions.

This must be the fastest Dramatica analysis yetā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I hoped to show today!

3 Likes

Well, when you put it that way. I was thinking more like ā€œKeep moving towards being outside the norm and you can be festiveā€.

I agree the rest of the storyform looks solid with Effect.

Definitely a fast analysis. Pretty cool techniques. Thanks, Jim!

2 Likes

Hmmm.

Looks like no one picked up on my hidden Easter Egg aboveā€¦:blush: