Elf Storyform Analysis

We were so busy talking about Christmas stuff, I don’t think any of us had time to think about Easter Eggs! :laughing:

if you wait until after the credits, there’s a scene setting up the next analysis in the Dramatica Cinematic Universe!

I’ll show myself out…

1 Like

lol. No.

Has anyone tried plugging in the storyform into Dramatica to see what you get?

1 Like

I got something like “Keep moving toward being truthful and you can be part of a family”

… which sounds like Elf to me.

How does the Act order look?

I think it fits…
Conceiving
Conceptualizing
Being
Becoming

MC:
Future
Past
Progress
Present

IC:
Memories
Subconscious
Preconscious
Conscious

RS:
Understanding
Doing
Obtaining
Learning

Thoughts on the order?

Looking at it again, and thinking of the movie, it almost looks like it’s in reverse for most of the Throughlines… Or at least jumbled a bit.

1 Like

Somewhere along the way we made an assumption - same assumption I made, until I plugged everything in and looked at the Act order.

Something quite not right - particularly with the IC.

What about…

Issues:
OS Knowledge: the presumption that Santa isn’t real
MC Fact – as is – Santa IS real.
IC Value – as is – Couldn’t care less about work, his kid, christmas spirit
RS Wisdom – lacking the wisdom about what to do with the unearthed relationship

The OS Issue should be Ability - and I don’t mean to say that our storytelling examples jumped to conclusions, but rather a jump to conclusion in the actual storyforming that would affect the Act order.

We assumed linear problem solver.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any question Buddy is a linear problem solver.

“My Dad’s on the naughty list? I’ll go to his New York office and fix that!”
“Security guard says get back to Gimbel’s? I’ll do that!” etc. etc.

Probably some others I can’t remember right away. But he’s pretty much like Paddington, where his innocent naivety lends itself very much to basic cause-and-effect logic.

Would the IC work better in Confidence?
Dad is overly-confident throughout…

Check the Act order when you switch it to Holistic Problem-Solving…

IC makes way more sense:

Memory-Preconscious-Subconscious-Conscious

And the Unique Abilities and Critical Flaws are way better:

MC Unique Ability: Fantasy instead of Threat (believing in Santa Claus and the North Pole)
MC Critical Flaw: Experience instead of Enlightenment (no familiarity with eating gum off a railing)

IC Unique Ability: Worth instead of Worry
IC Critical Flaw: Desire instead of Thought (I don’t want you)

Where is the cause and effect relationship with these two sentences?

Btw, I thought the same, until I really started to think about it…is he really working cause and effect, or is he simply trying to shift the balance in the environment…?

Makes sense. Singing to counter discomfort is totally holistic.

So, non-accurate will be in the premise. Hooray! :smile:

1 Like

But in this story, Santa Claus isn’t Fantasy, right? It’s real. But Buddy does threaten many things in the movie…

Agree with the singing for sure…but Accurate is the only Element within a Holistic/Steadfast/Success/Good Premise:

Being truthful magnifies your higher state of vibration allowing you to address your abilities as a Christmas elf with others.

It’s not about Making Everyone Be Happy, but rather addressing the issue that “I have this innate ability that no one else sees, and as long as I stay truthful to that, I can stay in a happier place”

1 Like

The minute I posted that comment and then you posted your holistic discovery seconds later, I knew this question was coming. :joy:

I’m working from memory, so I might be way off. But when he finds out his Dad is on the naughty list, he sets out to fix the situation and–

You know what? That looks like a pretty clear attempt at re-balancing, rather than cause-and-effect. Just destroyed my own argument in one clean shot.

3 Likes