Experiment with Scene-ish Stuff!

Let’s say that I’m experimenting with the idea of using Dramatica on a small scale, even smaller than a short story. More on the par with flash fiction. Just a slice, so that I can practice some of the skills in using the software (as a vehicle for the theory) without having to commit to a full-blown story.

I’m going to create the “scene” first (because I tend to be more of a pantser). At that point, I’ll take the scene-like object into Dramatica and analyze it to see how it plays out.

Question: is that reasonable? I know that Dramatica can be used to write short stories; the idea is to take just a piece of all the stuff (like using a single quad) and apply it, making sure that the components are for the most part met. Even though it’s not a complete argument, it’s at least a contained chunk that helps the reader feel as if something has been accomplished, some part of an overarching argument has been met.

What pitfalls should I look for in doing something like this?

As always, you all are the bee’s-knees, and I appreciate your help.

Sounds like fun. Please share your findings.

Years ago, a poster shared he used Dramatica for his advertising pitches, very successfully. He did some kind of ad and/or other agency accounts, using video, but what his business was I can’t remember now. I do remember he was into the micro and loved using Dramatica, sharing with us his successes.

Thanks, Prish. I can imagine Dramatica would work with any “story-related” project. The elements are still the same whether you’re writing a novel or a flash-fiction piece for an advertisement. It’s the relationship element that always gets me… The car commercial where the guy buy new models over the years and we see his dog age as well… Always gets me in the feels…

I have the piece I’m going to use almost finished. I’ll post it and then see what I make of it. That way if anyone is interested they can compare my review to the story piece (which runs about 2000 words).

1 Like