Exploration of Sequences in relation to the Issue and Counterpoint?

Using Armando’s method of creating scenes with Z-Patterns, I have three thematic arguments for a Signpost: Permission, Need Vs. Expediency, and Deficiency. The Issue of this Throughline is Wisdom, where its Counterpoint is Enlightenment. As I begin to explore these thematic arguments within my scenes, do they all need to reflect a thematic light on the Issue and Counterpoint, as well?

For example:
“Explore Permission in terms of Wisdom Vs. Enlightenment
“Explore Need Vs. Expediency in terms of Wisdom Vs. Enlightenment"
“Explore Deficiency in terms of Wisdom Vs. Enlightenment"

Would this be the right approach?

Also, when using the Z-Pattern method of scene creation, do I only focus on the Signposts? Most of the Signposts are Z patterns, so I’ll have 3 thematic arguments per Signpost; however, if I were to focus on both Signposts and Journeys, how would I separate them?

Would I explore the Signpost in terms of Permission and part of Need Vs. Expediency, and then use the Journey to explore the rest of Need Vs. Expediency and finish out with Deficiency? If the Z-Pattern were a Hairpin, it would be a lot easier to explore the Signpost and Journey, as the count of Thematic Arguments would only be two.

I would never want to make my story rigid and “crunched to the numbers”, but a general explanation of how to explore the Signposts and Journeys in relation to the Thematic Arguments and Issue/Counterpoint would be beneficial.

I would say no. The throughline’s Issue should be a source of conflict, and will likely appear in most scenes in some fashion (at least scenes related to that throughline). But the Issue doesn’t have to be present in every single one. And for the counterpoint I wouldn’t worry about the “versus” so much, in terms of an argument; that might seem heavy-handed. Instead it appears from time to time as a way of shading or highlighting the Issue, like an accent wall in a room, or salt/spice in a dish.

So I’d modify your example to be like this (keep in mind some of this is my own method, may not fit how others do it):

• “Explore Permission where Wisdom is a source of conflict, and consider throwing a dash of Enlightenment in to taste”
  • “Explore Need and Expediency where Wisdom is a source of conflict, and consider throwing a dash of Enlightenment in to taste"
  • “Explore Deficiency where Wisdom is a source of conflict, and consider throwing a dash of Enlightenment in to taste"

Of course, at different times you may focus more on the Problem (+ Symptom/Response) and/or Concern and/or Domain as sources of conflict instead of the Issue. Whatever serves your story and your ideas best!

I think you mostly focus on the Signposts. You might find that the later scenes in a particular signpost/act are more flavoured with the following signpost’s Type, especially in the case of a Slide. Ditto for the scenes in the following signpost/act being flavoured with the previous signpost Type. I think that’s how the journeys can work, but you may not need to worry about it consciously.