Final Story Drvier

Okay, so story drivers are either actions forcing decisions or decisions forcing actions.

But then you get to the final driver. The Dramatica Q&A says:

Similarly, at the end of a story there will be an essential need for an action to be taken or a decision to be made. Both will occur, but one of them will be the roadblock that must be removed in order to enable the other.

So if you have an Action driven story, does this mean that someone has to make a final decision and take an action? Or is there an action (driver) that forces a final decision?

Part of what’s also confusing me is that this is the climax, so in theory it’s the point at which my leap-of-faith change character makes a decision (to change) which simultaneously resolves the OS (if I understand correctly). But this is obviously not the same as the final driver, right? So what’s the final driver’s relationship to this decision?

1 Like

I would suggest it’s neither – the closing Action resolves the narrative so it doesn’t need to drive any further decisions.

And though there might be a previous decision related to the closing Action, the closing Action isn’t driven by that decision. For example in Star Wars, the rebels deciding to attack the Death Star with small fighters puts Luke in the right area, but it doesn’t force or guarantee that’s he’s going to get in position and make that final shot.

Similarly, although his decision to Trust the Force and switch off his targeting computer etc. is certainly related at the storytelling level to the final Action (and in a very compelling way), it doesn’t force the success of that shot. (Another way to put it: in Star Wars the closing Driver isn’t just taking the shot, it’s making the shot – which isn’t something you can just decide.)

As far as I know there’s no set relationship. I think you tie them together at the storytelling level. The MC Unique Ability might be helpful in relating them, but I don’t think anything in particular is required.

5 Likes

Okay this is a great explanation. Thanks @mlucas - I’m going to think about this and see if I have any follow-up questions.

2 Likes

Just to add - after the final Story Driver - the Action in this case - there is no more story…so it doesn’t matter any decisions that may or may not come afterwards.

5 Likes

@jhull @mlucas So then what does this mean?

Does that mean that in action-driver story there’s a decision that must be removed before the final action driver takes place? (Is this where Luke decides to turn off the targeting computer?)

1 Like

If you got that from the theory book I would say don’t follow it to the letter. Just go for the basic idea.

3 Likes