Flipping dramatica types without carrying the children

Melanie Anne Phillips says you can flip the position of a term at type level in a dynamic pair without taking the children, the terms underneath.

Let’s use the dynamic pair doing and obtaining for illustration purposes.

Under doing we have the variations: wisdom, skill, experience, and enlightenment,

Under obtaining we have approach, self interest, morality, and attitude.

Melanie says you can shift obtaining to the position of doing and explore obtaining in terms of - wisdom, skill, experience and enlightenment.

and explore doing in terms of approach, self interest, morality, attitude.

Or you can take a quad like wisdom at variation level and explore the elements under enlightenment in terms of wisdom instead.

@mlucas at the elemental level. Can you have a situation where the concern is doing, issue is wisdom, and you pair the problem quad with elements beneath skill, experience, and enlightenment in your own way.

For example can I have a problem quad of

effect Vs cause
And
Result Vs process

Or
Accurate Vs non accurate
And
Proven Vs unproven

It’s a complex thing to experiment with but I feel it makes for more colorful story telling.

Again, I’ve watched Melanie say you can flip the dynamic pair without carrying the children or quads underneath to the new position

The dramatica operations quad,

flips Vs rotates
Children Vs orientation

If I understand what you’re saying, this can happen in the IC and RS throughline only, not the OS and MC.

Generally, you should use the software to figure this out. That’s what it’s for!

2 Likes

While this is interesting from a practical standpoint, we already know whether or not children are carried by means of the Plot Sequence Report. I wouldn’t worry too much about Elements carried or not - the model is so twisted up by that point, that if you get it “wrong” no one in your Audience will notice.

It’s also likely that the end result of all that flipping and rotating is so subjective, that the usefulness of Dramatica begins to deteriorate.

What’s far more interesting is why children are carried or not.

1 Like