Formulation of Unique Ability and Critical Flaw for an Antagonist MC

Hey everyone,

Nice to meet you all! I have a quick question about how to apply Dramatica theory with an MC who functions as a story’s primary antagonist.

Specifically, I’m hung up on understanding/encoding my main character’s unique ability. Since she is working against the achievement of the overall story goal, should her unique ability be the thing that best enables her to stop the other characters from achieving the story goal, or should I consider her from a more objective point of view: i.e. what quality of hers makes her uniquely suited to achieving the overall story goal, regardless of her intent to do the opposite?

The same question applies to her critical flaw: should this be the thing that holds her back from achieving her goal of thwarting the other characters, or should it be the thing that holds her back from achieving the overall story goal?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help!

3 Likes

Wow. This is a really good question.

I wonder if you can set it up like this: make her unique ability the quality that does make her uniquely suited to achieve the overall story goal. And then make her critical flaw somehow related to her desire to work against the story goal. So in one context it might be like, if not for the critical flaw, she could and would use her unique ability to solve the story’s problems and achieve the goal.

Do you have a storyform? It might help to know the values for the UA and CF, and the Story Goal, and the MC Growth.

This is a little bit similar to my story that I’m working on which is Failure/Good – at the climax, the MC is open (Unique Ability: Openness) to accepting a horrible fate to achieve the Story Goal, or at least prevent it from going down the toilet. But her Critical Flaw of Self Interest (along with a bunch of stuff in the RS and IC throughlines) makes her reject that option and do something else that causes Failure. For her it’s still a Good thing she chose against the horrible fate.

1 Like

Thanks for the response!

Yes, I do have a storyform picked out. The overall story goal is Understanding, and the MC is a Change/Stop character. So basically, she spends most of the story trying to hide a terrible secret from her family and friends, only to change her mind in the fourth act and take a leap of faith into revealing the secret to them and hoping that they’ll understand.

Dramatica Story Expert gave me the values of Prediction for my MC’s unique ability, and Suspicion as her critical flaw. It initially made the most sense to me to frame these two items from her point of view, so to speak: she’s uniquely qualified to achieve her goal of thwarting the other characters’ attempts at understanding her secret by predicting what concerns will arise in her quest to hide her secret and what she will have to do in order to keep it buried. But what undercuts her is her suspiciousness. In short, she’s not quite as good at hiding her secret from the rest of the world as she would like to think she is. Her suspicious behavior is a big part of what drives the other characters towards pursuing the overall story goal of understanding in the first place.

However, I’ve been burned before when it comes to determining/encoding my storyform because I leaned too far into the character’s subjective points of view instead of remaining objective about their qualities/effects on the story! So I want to make sure that my above framing of these two traits is correct (or at least plausible) before I commit myself to anything.

Well, I’ve got a storyform that I like quite well already selected. There are just a few items in it that I’m having trouble figuring out how to encode, my MC’s unique ability and critical flaw being chief among them.

I’d say that you don’t want to frame them from the character perspective–it’s about how you as the author see it–but that you do want them to be strictly related to that Throughline. I’d say it looks good.

Are you seeing this as your MCs Critical Flaw causing the OS characters to take action within the OS?

I posted a question yesterday wondering whether unique abilities and critical flaws could, or should, or shouldn’t lead to catalysts and inhibitors. I think the answer is basically “whatever is right for the story as long the throulines don’t get too entangled”.

It would be interesting to see how an MC critical flaw leads to an entire OS throughline. I’m no expert on how everything in Dramatica is connected to everything else, but just make sure you keep this players MC role/issues in the MC throughline and their OS role/issues in the OS.

Sort of; her critical flaw is definitely contributing to the reason why the other characters take action, but it is not the only reason that they do. She does indeed behave in a way that raises suspicion, but many other factors outside of her control play significant roles in her family’s sense that something is going wrong and their desire to understand what is happening to their daughter.

Okay, that’s good to know! I just wanted to be sure my reasoning checked out, and it sounds like it’ll work fine.

Is it possible the Story Goal is a bit deeper than just finding out her secret? Could it be like understanding her reasons for hiding the secret, understanding what is driving the family apart, understanding each other, and/or coming to an understanding? (Maybe I just misinterpreted it.)

I think it’s probably fine (especially if it feels right to you) to show her using her unique ability of Prediction to work against the Story Goal in the first 3 acts, and then in the last act have her use Prediction to help achieve the Story Goal. I think it would be good if you can use Prediction somewhere in her leap of faith, or leading up to it, though. Meanwhile, I could see that when she takes the leap of faith she overcomes her suspicious nature in order to reveal the secret, so that Critical Flaw is probably working fine!

Yeah, I think all those things apply! But the surface level goal is finding out what happened (with the hows, whens, whys and wherefores tagging along close behind).

Great! I think as long as you’re putting them together in you’re head that’s cool. Dramatica’s definition of Understanding is appreciating the meaning of something and says “Understanding is different from knowledge.”

So just finding out by itself doesn’t really count as Understanding, but I think you’ve got the understanding part in there, so you’re good. (The characters don’t need to know what their goal is; they might think, especially in the first 3 acts, that they’re just trying to find out what happened. What matters is what you think the goal is.)

I also have a feeling that with an OS Concern of Understanding you’re going to find a bunch of other examples of problematic Understanding in your story, like misunderstandings causing trouble, that sort of thing. I think I can already feel that coming from your setup, with the family secret(s) and such. Very cool.

Right, I definitely agree. When you hear “Understanding,” you have to think like “to ken” or “to grok:” really digging into the core of the meaning and purpose behind it. Learning is seeing how a pro baseball player swings the bat; Understanding it is feeling the difference in your arms.

As to the main question, y’know, I’m not sure. My gut says that the MC should see them as reversed, i.e. their Critical Flaw is what helps them prevent the Story Goal and their Unique Ability is the niggling problem in the back of their mind. In a sort-of topsy-turvy way, the Antagonists are just offering their method of achieving the Story Goal. In fact, some Goals can only be accomplished using the teachings of the Antagonists, like When Harry Met Sally. So I don’t think the formula should change just because the MC is an Antagonist. The UA should still bring the OS to success, and the CF undermines it and leads to Failure.

But that’s just my opinion, and a half-formed one at that. You’ve gotten plenty of good advice here.

1 Like

Hey, I just wanted to give some belated thanks for the advice; it turned out to be key in my eventual understanding of how to encode these points! I also wanted to update this thread because I think I figured out what the source of my confusion was.

Basically, I realized recently that the MC’s critical flaw of suspicion is less about her seeming suspicious to the other characters, but more about her being wary and taking sensible precautions in hiding her truth from the other characters. In short, she has good reason (based on prior evidence) to think that the other characters in the OS will never be able to understand her problem-- or that even if they do understand it, they won’t accept her because of it. This prompts her to be wary of sharing too much of herself with the other characters, thereby preventing them from understanding the true nature of her problem. Thus her critical flaw is indeed the thing undercutting the achievement of the story goal by the other characters, not the thing undercutting HER achievement of her own goal/response to her problem, as I initially hypothesized.

Likewise, my interpretation of her unique ability of prediction as being “the thing that best enables her to stop the other characters from achieving the story goal,” as per my original post, was incorrect. In fact, the unique ability is the thing that would enable her to realize that her efforts throughout the course of the story are in vain, and that she should stop pursuing her personal symptom of “ability” in order to pursue her true solution of “equity.” If she engaged with her unique ability, she’d recognize that her destiny is unchangeable, and that the quicker she can surrender to it, the better for everyone involved. However, her wariness holds her back, to the extent that the story ends in failure. She resolves her personal angst in the end, but without enabling the characters in the overall storyline to achieve their story goal of understanding what her secret was in the first place.

I think my confusion stemmed partly from an improper understanding of Dramatica terminology, and also from the fact that my MC is very concerned with seeming suspicious to the other characters (to be expected, perhaps, as “awareness” is in fact the direction/response of the relationship throughline). She spends most of the story arguing with her IC about being/seeming suspicious to others, and thus “suspicion” made sense to me as what was holding her back from achieving her personal goal of thwarting the other characters. But that is not a sufficiently objective reading of this trait.

I think you’re right that from her POV, the MC sees the unique ability and critical flaw as being reversed:

From my MC’s POV, she sees her suspicion (i.e. her tendency to be wary of others for semi-justified reasons and her tendency to take sensible precautions to avoid their uncovering of the true nature of her problem) as not only important, but vital to her survival. And it is her unique ability of prediction that is the niggling doubt in the back of her mind that tells her that her problem will never go away unless she throws her waryness/suspicion out the window in order to embrace her truth, damn the consequences.

HOWEVER, this does not mean that MY view of these traits as the author of the story should be equally mixed up, because from an objective POV, her unique ability and critical flaw are exactly what they claim to be on the tin: the thing enabling her to aid the achievement of the overall story goal, and the thing that is preventing her from doing so, respectively.

2 Likes

Wow, very nicely put, @Audz! I was hoping something like that would work out for you. Well done.

I think it’s a good sign you have the right storyform, when it turns out the storyform was sort of more accurate than your own thinking initially! :wink: