Frozen Analysis

For those who don’t know or haven’t noticed yet, the analysis for Frozen is up on the site now. Links to the podcast and videocast are included there.

You’ll note that there are TWO different takes on the storyform - the Dramatica Users Group version and the Narrative First/Jim Hull version. After receiving email suggesting that my interpretation of the film was more accurate than the DUG take, we decided to include both interpretations up there. You can read the explanation behind my choices in my analysis of Frozen.

For the record I think the film, story-wise, is a complete mess and that the “correct” storyform is somewhere in-between the two.

I apologize for raising this dead topic from its soily grave, but I’d like to hear the Dramatica Experts’ opinion on this Dramatica Analysis of Frozen, which is quite different from the ones linked in the original post.
(And while you’re at it, you might take a look at Fault in Our Stars and Harry Potter)

Frozen is about the furthest you can get from an Overall Story of Fixed Attitudes. The narrative is nowhere close to examining conflict arising from prejudice, bias or opinion. You won’t find a single Dramatica Story Expert who agrees with this most basic of Dramatica concepts.

One cannot eliminate the subjective aspect of story analyses. We all see stories differently and certain elements carry more weight for some people than others.

This is a cop out–a defensive technique designed to hinder meaningful discussion. Story analysis is not subjective–at least not the type we do at the monthly Dramatica Users Group meetings. A consensus is always required and everyone is required to defend their point-of-view. You can’t just say “Well, that’s how I see it” and expect to find the actual storyform.

I didn’t look at the analyses of the other films but I suspect an equal amount of innaccuracy.

Thank you for taking the time to read that analysis and sharing your thoughts, anyway :).

I’m going to second Jim’s comments here.

The only wiggle room that I will cede to that analysis is that Frozen doesn’t have a great story structure to begin with. We found a much better story form than I anticipated finding, and I am not going to argue that it’s a tight fit. But it’s not subjective.

I also think it’s disingenuous to disregard why the storyform is hard to find. Chris and Jim don’t agree on where the story starts, and if that doesn’t indicate something I don’t know what does. And yet… no mention of that or other weirdities. That alone sends up flags for me.

The Fault In Our Stars analysis is incorrect. Finally saw the movie last week and came up with a storyform that is more accurate. I will post it here either next week or the week after

And here it is: The Fault In Our Stars: An Anatomy of an Analysis. 4200 words of Dramatica goodness

1 Like

Thank you so much for writing all of this down. I really appreciate it

You’re welcome! it was completely exhausting to do (almost 4 times as long as most of my articles), but I really hope it helps people understand how we get about getting to the “right” storyform for a work. If you have any questions about anything let me know.