Fun with Consequence and Cost

I’m loving Dramatica more and more every day. It’s really helped me cement how my climax scene ideas work, and what parts of those ideas I should emphasize.

One thing that was bothering me was regarding the Consequence. I have a Consequence of Changing One’s Nature, and this consequence does come to pass, because the Outcome is Failure. This works great: as a consequence of her choice that causes the Goal to not be achieved, my MC sheds her insecurities and becomes the leader of a new rebellion, definitely a change of nature.

But what was bothering me is that because of the storytelling details, it seemed like Changing One’s Nature would also have been the result of winning, i.e. of her choosing differently so that the Outcome could be Success. (since part of the reason she makes that choice is to avoid being physically transformed into something else)

However, I realize now that I’m thinking on the wrong level; once the storyform is set it doesn’t show up in the story like that; only the author can change the storyform points not the characters!! I think @jhull mentioned that I was making this mistake another time, thinking at the Audience/Reception level, but I’m only starting to get it now.

Anyway in a flash of insight I realized that I should instead be looking at the Story Cost – these are the prices that characters pay on the way to achieving the goal. Lo and behold, mine is Innermost Desires, which fits even better than a Change of Nature. I can see that the additive cost to her dreams and longings is exactly what tips the scale in her decision, she refuses to take the last hit to those Desires that the physical transformation would bring, and thus makes her choice that leads to Failure.

I also realize that the Consequence must apply to more than just the MC’s player – it’s an overall thing so it hits some or all the overall characters. Luckily, my idea definitely includes a deep change of nature for most or all of the overall characters – woohoo!

I’m happy to take any critique on the above; I wrote it as if I know what I’m talking about, but my grasp of the theory is probably just enough to be dangerous!

2 Likes

Nope. You’re spot on. And on the right track. Keep going!