Gone with the Wind: Analysis?

Steadfast, Stop, Doer, Logical?, Action, Optionlock, Success, Bad

MC - Scarlett O’Hara: Activity(?) >> Obtaining(?)
IC - Rhett Butler: Manipulation(?) >> Changing One’s Nature(?)

Do you have any idea?

I’d say there’s a good chance it has a couple.

I’m not a big fan of this movie, so I could be biased, but I don’t recall feeling like Scarlett was all that different at the end. It’s been awhile… In the beginning, and throughout most of the story, she wants Ashley, but he rebuffs her and ends up marrying someone else. Scarlett marries Rhett but continues to pine for Ashley. I’m pretty sure that goes on right up until the very end when Rhett finally has enough and leaves Scarlett. Then she suddenly realizes it was Rhett she loved all along, but it’s too late.

Now, is this a change? Or is Scarlett remaining Steadfast in the sense that she wants what she can’t have?

Making the dress out of the curtains seems Holistic to me.

What’s the Success? I don’t remember it well enough to guess at the Goal, but from what I remember it seems like a total downer. Scarlett’s daughter dies, Ashely’s wife dies, Rhett leaves. And Scarlett always struck me as being fairly delusional at the end as far as getting Rhett back and “Tomorrow is another day.” Even the title sounds like a tragedy. The Antebellum South, the way of life all the characters knew, is “Gone with the Wind.” Of course, that’s not actually a bad thing considering how horrible the Antebellum South was (and this from a Southerner), but I don’t think the work presents it that way.

1 Like

It appeared to me that the ending is Success because Scarlett saved Tara, and got everything she wanted - including the opportunity to marry Ashley. The problem is that she realised her actual feelings when it was too late, so it’s kind of a personal tragedy.

(I am interested in this particular storyform because the Dramatica Theory book stated that Gone with the Wind has a very complex thematic argument, so I am curious. :slight_smile: )

I just wonder: Is Scarlett’s last monologue an illustration of theme in terms of Delay vs Choice?
**Quote: “I can’t let him go! I can’t! I won’t think about losing him now! I’ll go crazy if I do! … I’ll think about that tomorrow …”, “But I must think about it! I must think about it! What is there to do? What is there that matters?”, “… I’ll go home - and I’ll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day!”