Group online analysis of A Man For All Seasons

No. October was quite challenging for me in terms of scheduling. I’m hoping to get back on track in November.

No worries, I was only asking because I wanted to brag to my friend (who loved this movie) that I contributed to the analysis! :laughing:

1 Like

Hey, everyone, our fantastic, brilliant, unforgettable Richard Rich of Man for All Seasons, the actor Sir John Hurt, has left us today. Such a loss…but we were so fortunate for his performance, which immediately came to mind when we did the analysis. Still fresh, after all these years.

1 Like

@jhull Hey Jim just a ping to see if you might want to add this storyform (this post) to Subtext

(it was earlier approved by yourself and Chris)

Thanks!

1 Like

What? It’s only been a year…:slight_smile:

I almost have it ready to go – want to help with the Narrative Argument bit? Switch out the following Elements for Storytelling (since I know you probably have the story memorized!)…

Ha! I actually started to do that in my previous post but wasn’t sure if you’d want MC Crucial Element or “steadfast MC keeps on MC Direction”. Looks like Crucial (Acceptance) gets deeper into the core of the argument compared to Direction (Nonacceptance). I dig that.

Here are a couple options:

• Vindication awaits those who accept death to preserve their conscience, even if it means learning one’s legal system is unjust.
  • Vindication awaits those who accept death to preserve their conscience, even if it means teaching the country its government is corrupt.

Just on the Crucial Element thing again, it’s cool how More is basically Nonacceptance the whole film, until he must accept death as a result. (And I think there are hints throughout that he will accept death if it comes to it, which really drive the narrative.) Look at the acceptance in this quote near the end:

MORE: I am the King’s true subject… and I pray for him and all the realm. I do none harm. I say none harm. I think none harm. And if this be not enough to keep a man alive… then in good faith, I long not to live.

Excellent - thank you so much.

Yes, the Narrative Argument is based on the MC’s Crucial Element - which I believe in this case would be the Focus. Thanks!

Sweet! Great to see it up there.