Help with Illustrations Please

The IC Throughline is all about how the IC character’s influence on the MC changes over the course of the story, right?
Because I think I’ve sometimes seen it used as like the MC Throughline, but with the IC character.

I need some help coming up with some illustrations for my IC Signpost 1: The Past. I need something for the first variation which is Wisdom.

The IC at this stage in the book is the MC’s stepdad. The stepdad’s son died in a horrible accident five years earlier. Ever since then, the man has suffered from severe depression. A couple of other scenes from the IC Scenepost 1 PSR include 1.) Experience, the MC takes a drunk IC from the recliner to the IC’s bed and tucks him in. The drunk IC is grieving the loss of his son. It is obvious that this is not the first time that the MC has done this. 2.) Enlightenment, The MC secretly throws away a scholarship letter to college (which his stepdad knows nothing about) as he knows that he will have to stay home to take care of his stepdad rather than go to college 3.) Skill: The stepdad and the MC are rehearsing the MC’s valedictorian speech. It is obvious that the stepdad and the MC have a very positive relationship if not for the depression and the responsibility the MC secretly feels for his stepdad.

Now, I need something for Wisdom.

btw, can anybody explain why Wisdom, Skill, Experience, and Enlightenment are what are on the PSR?

On your first question…

This is pretty much spot on, but I think it’s even a bit broader: it’s all about the influence itself. (How it changes is definitely important, but that’s specifically shown in the Benchmark and the Signposts).

Here’s the thing: the IC Throughline represents an alternate perspective, basically the opposing perspective to the MC’s perspective on their personal issues. It’s that perspective and its influence on the MC that’s important, not the IC character himself.

Because of that, any IC story point has a kind of AND/OR built into it. Any IC story point can be about the conflict the IC themselves is experiencing (as long as it somehow – in any way – brings influence to bear on the MC). AND/OR it can be about how the IC is influencing the MC.

So, an IC Signpost of the Past might mean the IC is experiencing conflict from the Past (say, a past affair threatens him), and somehow this impacts on the MC. Or it could be the IC is dredging up something from the MC’s past, causing conflict for the MC. (In either case, the IC might be doing it on purpose, or might not even be aware. It’s only the influence that matters.)

This is how Wilson, the ball from Castaway, can be the influence character. It’s also why you can have group ICs, hand-offs, etc. Because it’s all about the perspective and its influence.

1 Like

re: Wisdom, maybe the stepdad finds out about the scholarship letter and says it was stupid (unwise) to toss it away?

(note you can rejig the order of PSR items if it makes things easier to fit your ideas)