Holistic MC with a Response of Logic

I currently am working off a storyform where the MC problem solving style is Holistic, and their Response is Logic and I’m trying to wrap my head around how those both work in the same character. (And MC is Change/Stop) I know the Response is not the true Solution (Conscience) that he will ultimately embrace, so is Logic just the band-aid he’s using in the meantime?

Or is there another way to look at this? Could he be using illogical reasoning as his Response?

Logic is about argumentation and justification. It isn’t about how you solve a problem. One can use logic to come to a holistic solution to a problem. Look at Sherlock. Thinking of the Benedict Cumberbatch show (as that’s the extent of my familiarity) there are instances where Sherlock constructs elaborate ruses, fake investigations and series of events in order to provoke the a character into exposing themselves, taking a certain action, or maybe coming to a conclusion on their own. Sherlock embodies logic, deductive reasoning, supernatural attention to detail and ability to use logic to create causal connections to form conclusions and predictions — and yet he frequently solves problems holistically.

I don’t know how to instruct you as to the Dramatica implementation, but hopefully this gives an idea of how logic and holistic problem solving aren’t mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

My take is that the MC, Driven by Temptation, focuses on feeling as the problem. In respose the MC might seek a logical explanation for something or try to give a logical explanation for something (this might be all the more difficult for a holistic problem solver). Or they could respond by abandoning all pretense of logic. I also think your example of offering an illogical response should work.

I don’t think the Response element tells you what the character will do, but only what category that reaction falls under so the Response could refer to more logic or less logic.

2 Likes

Hi Mike D,
I’m actually working on the first draft of a modern-day sci-fi novel right now where the storyform has Logic as the MC and OS Symptoms. (sorry didn’t reply earlier; I hadn’t figured out the storyform when you first posted this question)

Anyway, one thing I’m finding is that the Logic Symptom shows up in a couple main ways:

1. The characters thinking “what the hell?? this doesn’t make sense!” in some shape or form, and focusing on that as a problem. Situations, explanations, requests or commands from others that aren’t logical, though the word “logic” doesn’t come into it very often. The characters tend to respond with emotion – anger, fear, feeling helpless, shutting down emotionally, whatever.
    An example is when some crazy s**t goes down and Devin (MC) tries to call the police. Becca (IC), who is part of a secret organization that knows about the evil aliens, knocks his phone away and says the police can’t help, they have to call her uncle instead, but won’t explain why. From Devin’s point of view, her rationale doesn’t make sense, and he gets upset. But from Becca’s point of view, calling the police is stupid (flawed logic), and she yells at him for trying. (This is mostly OS throughline.)

2. The characters seeing a step-by-step rationale, phenomenon or process as too rigid and linear, and again responding with emotion. For example, the cold logic of a cancer diagnosis and treatment plan brings on an emotional response.

I try not to think of it that much when I’m drafting, but notice it when I come up for air.

I don’t know if this will help much because Logic as Response might work a lot differently than Symptom. But I thought it might be worthwhile to see how wide-open the Dramatica term can be – not always Spock and Kirk arguing about Logic!