How does symbolism fit into a storyform?

Literature and many books show the value of using symbols to represent aspects of the story theme. Obviously, mood will be influenced by the use of symbols that represent each scene. But how do you use your storyform to decide where to use symbolism (or image systems)?

In Shoot Your Novel: Cinematic Techniques to Supercharge Your Writing it discusses Image Systems:

“Consider the core idea of your book. See if you can encapsulate it in a phrase or sentence. Write down words that reflect your image system. Think of how those words or ideas could be visually and symbolically portrayed throughout your novel.”

My question is this: is there a certain element of the Storyform that lends itself best to these image systems? For example, is it the ISSUE? Or is it more of the PROBLEM that has a symbol?

Under which of the many elements of the Storyform do you try to have symbolism?

The entire story is already an analogy for a problem being solved so the entire story is, in that way, already a symbol. That being the case, you can use storytelling symbols wherever you want, however you want.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I would never have thought to answer this question like that, but it’s perfect.

3 Likes

I bet repetition would be a factor. An art teacher told me once to repeat each color used, at least three times, no matter how small a dab. When I read a story in a writing class, I noticed what was only mentioned twice was not noticed by the listener. I enjoy stories that repeat sub and major plots with different characters in the novel.

2 Likes

One thing about symbolism (and this is totally my opinion based on my own writing experience)… I feel like you’re better off not “trying” to add it to your story, at least in first draft, or it may seem forced.

Instead, you just write the story and let your subconscious throw stuff in there that turns out to be rich, deep symbols. Sometimes you recognize them as such when you’re writing, most often you don’t.

Where the storyform comes into it is, you use the storyform to align your conscious ideas of the story to the narrative your subconscious is giving you. If you manage to do that, I think the chance of you ending up with symbols that relate to the meaning of your story is greatly increased. (I feel like your subconscious almost can’t help throwing these symbols in there, because symbols and narrative are its language.)

In any case, when you’re finished the first draft you can look over it and see what symbols came out, and decide then what to do with them (maybe strengthen some, maybe remove others that no longer fit, etc.).

Just my two cents. Maybe I’m just lazy and would rather not worry about symbols when there’s enough other stuff to worry about in writing! :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Yeah, I like @mlucas’s approach for the first draft for sure, allow your subconcious to do its thing. Thereafter, when you become more conscious of what you are saying, you can pick out the symbols you like and polish them up.

There was a discussion on the podcast Writing Excuses this week about how some authors bring in symbolism. They suggested that symbols usually embody the theme of the story and that setting is perfect to embed those symbols. The podcast is called Your Setting is a Telegraph.

Depending on your genre, I would imagine getting creative with a throughline’s Issue would help.

3 Likes

PS - After listening to the podcast, I did look take a look at the Issue on the OS throughline of my story, but it didn’t seem to lend itself to a symbol. I’ll have to wait until the draft is complete before I can see it clearly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe, think metaphor? I’d seen some things done in a class assignment of visual metaphors for a neuron … pretty varied, thoughtful and clever stuff by the students.

Dramatica is subtext. Theme is the contextual relationship between storytelling elements. Symbolism is one way theme can be tethered to subtext.

A new haircut or shave can symbolize a character transformation or, even, a change in the RST.

Watch “The Expanse” for some really nifty RST arcs told out of chronological order that use some great symbolism here and there.