How I use dramatica to decide what to write about

To help me clarify the bare bones “anthem” of the story, I usually have to write a simple sentence with the OS solution in context of the issue. I discovered I do this so often (usually while procrastinating instead of writing bad stories) that I decided to make a list of all of them in a spreadsheet (link at end). I use this list to consider options for what to write about–not subject matter, plots, or characters but basic anthems (for lack of a better word). It’s basically a sentence version of the dramatica chart since my mind works better with a sentence than a chart. You may find it useful for staring at it like a restaurant menu. “Ooh, I’ll write about that! That anthem looks like it hasn’t been done to death!”

The wording is: At the climax, the change character and the protagonist need to engage in (OS solution) regarding (OS issue) and (OS counterpoint).

This oversimplified wording assumes success/good and that OS success is what I’m advocating (i.e. that the story does not have a protagonist pursuing an unpleasant goal like Nightcrawler, etc). It doesn’t assume MC = protagonist nor does it assume MC is change.

Applied to Star Wars: At the climax, the change character and the protagonist need to engage in trust regarding skill and experience.
Applied to Princess Bride: At the climax, the change character and the protagonist need to engage in re-evaluation regarding deficiency and permission.

4 Likes

Wow. That spreadsheet was actually a lot cooler than I thought it would be.

I can’t imagine using it to decide what to write, but those sentences really worked well with my own stories that I know the storyform for. For one, which is a Failure story with OS Solution of Support, I just had to replace “need to engage in Support” with “needed to engage in Support (but didn’t)”. What’s really neat is that in that story there is a bunch of Support at the climax, but it’s resolving the IC and RS throughlines, while in the OS the Support is directed away from the Story Goal rather than toward it – so that explains the Failure.

For the other story I’m working on, which is Success/Good, it really helped me see the OS Counterpoint (Rationalization) in a whole new light! I think I’ve been forgetting about that story point but now I see how it’s sneaking in everywhere…

Thanks!

Just want to second the sharing and the inspiration for different ways to use and understand Dramatica to write great stories.

Thanks!