How to create influence

Been thinking about how to create a better influence this morning and wanted to leave some notes here in case it might spur some conversation. I’m looking to figure out different ways for the IC to influence the MC to change. These are just notes, just thoughts

Direct influence-IC is essentially saying to MC ‘look at me, this is how I would do it’ and working directly on the MC
Indirect influence-Ic is solving their own problems, at a bit of a distance from the MC while MC looks on from afar
Strong influence-MC can’t help but consider another perspective
Weak influence-MC considers change more subtly, but possibly says (metaphorically, of course) ‘no, thanks’
Positive influence-ic is influencing MC to be more like IC, to do things this way, to take this approach
Negative influence-ic is influencing MC to be less like the MC, or to not do things this way, to not take this path
Growing influence-Mc is becoming more willing to be influenced
Waning influence-Mc is becoming less willing to be influenced

3 Likes

The most interesting cases to me happen when it’s not obvious that the influence character is actually influencing the MC at all in terms of a conscious choice, or is (on a storytelling level) actually opposed to what the MC is trying to do.

I posted a question on this a while ago that I can look up, but for example in The Graduate Mrs. Robinson spends the whole movie driven to Hinder Ben, which somehow ends up with him Pursuing Elaine (the last thing in the world Mrs. Robinson wants).

2 Likes

This is what I’m thinking of as indirect influence in that the Ic isn’t attempting to influence anyone. The MC (the perspective, not the character) sees what the IC is doing and is influenced by it. Storytelling would determine how the MC character gets the influence, whether by observation of the IC or whatever.

Have never actually seen this one. Sounds like a positive influence (influences to take the path of pursuit) even though the ic character doesnt want that.

Anyway, despite me giving Dramatica like terms to it, this isnt me trying to add to Dramatica, just me trying to figure out how to describe ways of using the IC in order to figure out how to better write the perspective. I have an Ic I’m working with who, in SP 1-Present, is dealing with the PResent in such a way that it causes the MC to subtly consider thinking about something in a different way. I’m not happy with IC SP 2-Progress, so I’m trying come up with exactly how I want the MC to be influenced so I know better how to illustrate it. I’m thinking I need her to address Progress with a waning influence (MC unwilling to be influenced) and a positive influence similar to what you described above where the Ic is actually telling the MC ‘no don’t do this’ (direct influence) but actually ends up having a strong influence on him to take that path anyway.

1 Like

Yeah that sounds great if it works. Have you tried running through the gists and brainstorming? Like picking four or five at random and just trying to figure out how they could be illustrated to fit your story?