My first attempt to create a storyform involved me developing different ideas for the MC, IC, and OS more or less at the same time. I used Dramatica to play with different ideas, but I ended up going round in circles, and getting very confused, and frustrated about what my story was about. The truth was I probably didn't have a story at that point, and working with dramatica didn't help me to find one.
My second attempt focussed on developing an OS plot in longhand, before going anywhere near dramatica.
I wanted a plot with a beginning, a middle and an end, that told a story that I felt was exciting.
I decided that until I could create this, as a synopsis of the OS, then I didn't have a story. So I worked on this synopsis with no character development at all. I found a lot of the ideas I had had previously just slotted together to tell a story. Not having to think about the MC or IC seemed to free my imagination up. I wrote lots of iterations of this plot until I was happy with it.
I limited myself to using objective characters (some friends did this, they met some bad guys who obstructed them, they got help from someone else etc). I also clarified the driver events, the outcome, and the judgement (even though I didn't know who the MC was going to be).
Once I had this 'spine' for the story, it was pretty clear what the domain and concern of the OS was going to be, and there was just two options for the issue (in a dynamic pair). The solution from my closing event was also obvious, although I didn't see it at first.
I then decided that I wanted the story to have 'overwhelming conflict', rather than 'surmountable conflict', which told me the domain of the MC.. and I already knew that I wanted a change MC.
This gave me a storyform where I had provided the OS stuff, plus the character and plot dynamics, and dramatica had given me the rest.
Then I just trusted dramatica, and I put my effort into encoding the rest of the storyform. I knew I had a storyform that would give me an MC that was going to be at odds with the story world I had created in the OS, as well as an IC that would challenge him. I just had to develop those encodings, trusting dramatica, and the OS plot I already had.
And it seemed to work for me..
I'm by no means finished in writing the story, but I don't ever question the storyform. I just try to improve the quality of the encodings I have, as I gain new insights into the storyform.
So for me, clarifying the OS first, and then the plot and character dynamics seemed to do the trick.
I think it may be because I find the OS part hardest. The character work is easy once I have that framework. If I do it the other way round I just get confused. Dramatica provides too many distracting options