Hustling as an author

I know several of you are professional authors and make a living writing. If I may, though it has nothing to do with Dramatica directly, I’d like to ask you a question.

In 2012, I had to drop out of the work force on account of a spinal injury. The surgeon said the nerves at the base of my spine looked like chicken salad. One of the reasons I want to change careers and become an author is that I’ll be able to do a lot of the work while laying down when my back pain is pretty bad. Right now, I can sit for maybe 40 minutes and stand for about 10.

What I’d like to know is to what extent authors are required to do the circuit, going to book signings and meet and greets to sell their books. Physically, I just don’t know how much I’m going to be capable of doing that. I know I won’t be able to do a lot of driviing from one city to another.

Tell me the truth, the ugly and the good. What can I expect?

I can only speak from my personal experience as a novelist, but book tours are no longer a priority for publishers. If you write what they feel will be a hit book, they’re not going to demand you go on tour. If you write a book that doesn’t succeed, they won’t want to pay the cost of sending you on tour.

3 Likes