IC hand-off vs. 'agent' question

I think I understand the concept of Impact Character hand-off pretty well, as Melanie explained it pretty well in one of the storymind videos, and there is a lot online about it too.

I also understand the way you can make an absent IC’s present felt through memories or ghosts (like Obi-Wan), though if it’s memories you have to be really clear how they are affecting the MC.

But I’m wondering if there is another way for an absent IC’s presence to be felt – through an agent? I’m thinking my IC and MC won’t meet in person until around the end of the first Act. But could the IC and MC still affect each other anyway, learning about each other through intermediaries? Like if the IC sends another character as his ‘agent’ to the MC, influencing her that way. (This ‘agent’ character is not a hand-off IC; she does not share all the same story points as the IC.) And I’m thinking the M/I relationship could grow through that influence, with the agent reporting back to the IC.

For example, my IC Signpost #1 is Memories. I could have the IC discuss with his Agent about a past event where the MC was present (the never-solved abduction of her sister). The IC could ask the Agent to talk to the MC and see if she can remember details about what happened. Then something about those memories could trigger inspiration (M/I Signpost #1: Conceiving an Idea) in the MC, and the IC (once the agent reports back).

It sounds pretty doable … and fun … so I think I’ll go for it even though I’m a newbie and should probably be careful not to bite off too much. Or do you think it would be easier/better to try and make a Hand-off work?

Okay, kind of answering my own question here, but I basically found the answer in the software help (Theory under M/I Signpost #1):

They may not even know each other yet, however their points of view should make it clear they will have an impact on each when they do meet. What concerns are being brought up in the story by their relationship? These things are described by the topic listed as Main vs. Impact Story Signpost 1.

Thanks Melanie and Chris! Sounds like you don’t even need an agent, as long as you show points of view that foreshadow their impending relationship; though an agent seems a good way to do it too.

But others, please feel free to chime in with any thoughts, as this is really interesting stuff.

I finally tried working in a hand-off in my last screenplay. Was forced to because of some world-building stuff I made where they wouldn’t be able to talk to one another.

It was a huge nightmare and I would try to find anyway not to do it if you can. Especially if you’re just starting out.

But yes, you can do it the way you say. Just lots more work

The IC is just an opposing way of going about things. Generally, it’s embodied in one character, but sometimes it’s just there, and there are no handoffs at all. If you can get something into the first act that is pushing your character off his path, that’s probably enough.

Thanks guys. I’m sure it will all work out.