Inequity as the Noumenon

I’m the one with the undergrad degrees in Math and Philosophy. Sometime I need to get clinically accurate to compnsate for my lack of spatial awareness when using Dramatica. But, once I do it, I can just play again. I also Went to Film school and all the jargon is crazy there. But, the screenwriting grad degree I earned last year was infinitely more challenging for me.

This one concept is at the core of everything.

I just asked Chris about this at the DUG last night. So, here is my best shot it:

The inequity is the seperation of expectation and the occurrence. It occurs in the mind of the author as an platonic archetype of gestalt. (Noumenon)

In a GAS, there are four views of it and they are out of balance with ach other.

The inequity in the OS creates two bonded things that cannot coexist. (Phenomenon)

Potential is the force between those two things attracted or repelled by each other.

Resistance are the obstacles preventing them from being a single thing again through any manner of processes.

Current is the process they go through to reposition.

Outcome or Power is the new potential created between the two for the next cycle or the elimination of potntial by eliminating the other.

In Star Wars,

The two things in the OS are The Empire’s Death Machine and The Rebels with the Plans of How it Works.

Problems of Test occur.

In the end the one thing is The Plans because the Death Star is destroyed with Trust.

Test is the problem and Trust the Solution. I believe Trust is locked down until the end when it becomes the one thing.

1 Like

Everyone has both mental sexes. In a story we care about where the justifications are that are working or not working for that perspective in question.

I’m an ENFP. So, I am Holistic dominant. But, my issues with writing and reading are a linear problem due to a lack of spatial awareness (Si and Se). So, as I change, Jim, DUG and Chris act holistically to disrupt any linear Justifications I might have that aren’t serving me in regard to dramatica. This is personal for me and impersonal for them. This makes me the MC and them the IC.

We just watched The Accountant who is INTJ (holistic dominant like me). But, his Justifications are linear. So, he is a Linear MC and the IC, Dana and his brother Braxton, that acts on him is Holistic.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I would never in a million years describe it this way–because I think I take my understanding of it for granted (not because it’s deficient)–but this looks right to me.

2 Likes

It really does help Brian. The separation of expectation and occurrence explanation jives with where my mind went and wanted to go. It makes very efficient sense compared to my wandering musings. Thanks.

I think that expectations and reality are often at odds, but it is when we are heavily invested emotionally that the distance between pushes us to some type of action. Filed and done. Confirmation.

I really like these definitions as well. This is less opaque for my sensibilities. Let me know if this works:

Potential

Potential has to do with the possibility that:

reality and desired reality are “have your cake and eat it too” (cannot coexist). Thus, one must destory the other for a Throughline to be balanced (happy, Zen, whatever);

or

reality and desired reality are complimentary to each other in such a way that a third thing (compromised reality) can come to be that completely exhausts, or lessons the potential (energy) for conflict between the original reality and desired reality.

Current

Current could be represented by physical activities (physics) or mental activities (psychology) directed at a reality (universe) or desired reality (mind) to either:

completely remove the reality in question;

or

completely remove the specific desire in question;

or

creating a third reality that satisfies the original reality and original desired reality via compromise. This making the current dormant or slowed considerably.

Outcome

Outcome or Power is any remaining potential that still exists that could be affected by a catalyst or inhibitor or new context but is resolved (at least temporarily or for the time being);

or

the reality or desired reality has come to be dominant and the other is destroyed;

or

a new reality forms that is balanced (a workable compromise).

Mental Sex

I suspect what you are talking about is true, but I see the practicality of choosing a dominant mental sex.

I wonder if mental sex can be simplified (greatly) by saying one sex looks at the micro outcome vs. the macro outcome. Or that one looks at the gain vs. cost and the other the gain vs. the total cost. It’s seems simple enough.

I’ve seen mention of dominant senses in some of readings as of late and I think the practicality exists there as well. When setting a scene, we could very well hit a reader with sensory input from all five senses but choosing two works in our favor as it saves time and it defines our characters by exclusion or preference.

It took me a long time write this. So your comment @jhull just showed up for me (as I scrolled down). For some reason this description really clicks for me. Thanks all.

PRCO
You got it! My brain keeps trying to find the fourth option. I believe it is that they part ways or die off, but one legacy survives.

Mental Sex
Think of Requirements and conditions.

A man will believe he is entitled to sex if he takes all the right steps.

A woman will only engage in sex if the conditions are right.

Don’t click on these unless you are up for some crass humor…

Women (female mental sex) and their mood
http://datingprinciple.com/2016/05/18/chris-rock-women-are-all-about-the-mood/
(I couldn’t find this video clip, but Chris Rock is hilarious in it)

Women (female mental sex) use relationships to get their needs met vs men using cause and effect:

1 Like

I have only recently become acquainted with Dramatica. Like others, I questioned whether the theory was sound, whether the terms were truly objective, and so on.

Then I watched Pinocchio a few times with my daughter.

Then I began to analyze Pinocchio using Dramatica theory, as I lay awake in bed one night. It all started to make a lot more sense.

I highly recommend Pinocchio for analysis. It is very structured, very much a Grand Story Argument. There are many other highly structured stories, as well.

1 Like

From Can you explain the Story Driver further?:

"Star Wars (1977) has a Story Driver of Action. The inciting event is the theft of the Death Star plans by the Rebellion. What decisions follow that driver? The Empire decides to disband the Senate, kidnap Princess Leia, and take their secret weapon out of hiding. If the plans had not been stolen, would the Empire have decided to do the same things within the same time frame? No. The Death Star was not yet complete. The theft of the plans forced the Empire to change plans. "

So which is it?

Very cool @rallen! It’s great when Dramatica starts to click and make sense (but it can take a while).

Have you seen the Dramatica user’s group analysis?

https://narrativefirst.com/blog/the-long-lost-storyform-for-walt-disneys-pinocchio

Regarding Star Wars:

Do you mean is it Action or Decision? Star Wars has an Action driver. This means that the story turns on Actions rather than Decisions. So the stealing of the plans (Action) forces the Empire and the Rebels to make a bunch of decisions.

If you’re like me, figuring out story drivers isn’t intuitive. But like everything else in Dramatica, I persist with confidence that eventually it will be.

I think he is pointing out the apparent contradiction in these two statements.

@rallen I think that the answer is simply: people’s understanding of Dramatica evolves over time.

2 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t reading carefully enough (didn’t look at the post @rallen was responding to).

Yes, and also the understanding of what’s actually there in a story’s structure can evolve.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Revisiting the Pinnochio Analysis