Influence Character in Ghostbusters (2016)?

I haven’t seen the remake of Ghostbusters yet, but have been curious if there’s an influence or impact character. My guess would be Kristin Wiig’s the MC and Melissa McCarthy’s character impacts on her.

Hmm, I’m not sure one can necessarily determine the MC or IC from the trailers. It’s probably best to see the film first, and then make those determinations. Trailers are designed primarily to show us some of the more interesting highlights (according to the producers) to get us interested in the movie, and so any character’s prominence in the trailer really has no bearing on their prominence in the whole story.

Having seen the movie (and seeing it again sometime next week); there isn’t a clear influence character. The structure is actually a little bit shambolic. I’ll try to keep spoilers strictly to the first act, which is most of the stuff from the trailers:

The Overall Throughline is clear, but a bit sketchy. The problem/solution/symptom/response is still something I can’t fully pin down.

The Main Character Throughline (Kristen Wiig) is clear, but wishy-washy. I know what the Issue is, but I don’t know what the problem/solution would be upon a first viewing. Seems more like things just happen to her, rather than having any specific personal issue (A book is released with her name on it! She gets fired from her job! Her friend is hunting ghosts! etc.).

The Influence Character Throughline is really, really, really vague. I think it’s Melissa McCarthy if only because that’s the only one Kristen Wiig has any kind of relationship with, but there isn’t really an influence there.

The Relationship Throughline has basically no conflict through the whole thing. They have maybe one argument really early on and then it’s just kind of… forgotten about for the rest of the movie until the end when you need the resolution between them. Again, the issue is kind of clear, but there’s nothing else to it.

It’s definitely not anywhere near being a complete story. But it’s a lot of mindless fun. It’s nothing like the trailers would have you think.

I haven’t seen it yet, but couldn’t there be an inborn IC - the ghosts?

That was something I considered. And it’s plausible. Her resolve sort of comes about because of the ghosts (kind of). The only issue with having the Ghosts as the IC is that the Ghosts don’t seem to have any kind of thematic issue. They’re just henchmen.

On the other hand, the big bad guy Rowan does. And he’s pretty clearly the opposite of Erin in almost every way, so it could be him. The only issue is that they don’t really have any scenes together so it’s not really an influence. I think they have two (?) in the whole movie.

There are some movies that are tales.