Influence character who is also protagonist

Fight Club
Tyler Durden is the IC and the Protagonist
The Ed Norton character is the MC

1 Like

Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Source: http://narrativefirst.com/analysis/star-wars-the-force-awakens.

1 Like

Influence Character as Protagonist movies:

(in addition to ones listed above)

• Inside Man with Denzel Washington
  • Terminator Reese is Pro, Sarah is MC
  • The Lives of Others (the writer is the IC/Protagonist)
  • The Yellow Birds - a great film I just saw at Sundance based on the book and starring young Han Solo as new recruit in Iraq. Very Platoon like (mom, CID officer are co-protagonists)
  • Come to think of it, Platoon is probably the same - (Barnes/Tom Berenger is IC/Protagonist)
  • The Bucket List (Freeman is IC Pro)
  • Brokeback Mountain (Jack is IC Pro)
  • Casablanca is almost IC Pro (depending on how you see Ilsa & Laszlo’s combined influence on Rick)
  • Eastern Promises pretty sure Viggo is IC Pro
  • Election Witherspoon is IC Pro
  • The Fugitive - Tommy Lee Jones is IC Pro (though you can also see he & Harrison as co-Pros)
  • How to Train Your Dragon - Stock is IC Pro
  • Sideways Jack is IC Pro

I think that’s it, but if I find anymore I’ll list them here!

1 Like

Isn’t John Book an IC/pro in Witness?

1 Like

Yes he certainly is. Thanks!

Mistborn: The Final Empire. Kelsier is the perfect example of this.

I’d say in The Princess Bride Westley is the IC Protagonist.

2 Likes

Tangentially related: taking the concept further, some examples of the rare “the mc is neither the protagonist nor the antagonist AND the ic is also neither:”

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Cooler

ET in ET: The Extra Terrestrial.

1 Like

̶W̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶A̶t̶t̶i̶c̶u̶s̶ ̶(̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶I̶C̶)̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶t̶a̶g̶o̶n̶i̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶"̶T̶o̶ ̶K̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶ ̶M̶o̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶b̶i̶r̶d̶.̶"̶ ̶H̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶o̶g̶i̶c̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶i̶s̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶M̶o̶t̶i̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶q̶u̶a̶d̶.̶
̶
̶S̶o̶u̶r̶c̶e̶:̶ ̶"̶T̶o̶ ̶K̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶ ̶M̶o̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶b̶i̶r̶d̶"̶ ̶D̶r̶a̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶a̶ ̶F̶i̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶.̶

My mistake. Arthur Radley is the IC.

Atticus isn’t the IC. He doesn’t affect Scout’s central worldview. That would be Boo Radley, her mysterious neighbor.

Melanie has a recent blog post, The Dramatic Triangle, which is fascinating – a different way of explaining some well-known Dramatica concepts.

One section deals specifically with the topic of this thread, the Influence Character who is also the protagonist:

A variation of this is for the protagonist to also be the influence character, rather than the main character. Then, he would be fighting against the antagonist in the overall story, but he would also be trying to change the beliefs of the main character, who is the third corner of the triangle.

In this arrangement, we would not be seeing things through the eyes of the protagonist, but through the eyes of the main character. We stand in the shoes of the main character and watch the protagonist/influence character, but be personally challenged to change our beliefs by him.

1 Like

Cool way to emphasize a change of thought, without it getting lost in the edit!

1 Like

I just walked in the door, while the husband was watching The Legend of Tarzan movie. The Samuel Jackson character was following everyone who had jumped down a mountain to a forest top. He was definitely the MC (at least for that scene) Tarzan seemed the IC at least for that scene. You might want to check the movie out.

OMG. Haha you beat me to it.

1 Like

@narrativebeast Sorry bro. I’m a Sanderson junkie. :joy:

What about Morpheus in The Matrix?

2 Likes

There’s no official Dramatica storyform for it, but I’m willing to argue that Elijah Price in Unbreakable is an IC Protagonist.

Scent of a Woman jumps into mind at the words, “along for the ride”. I haven’t seen it, all, but it might fit. w/Al Pacino, Chris O’Donnell

Spotlight is another possibility for “MC/IC/pro/ant = 4 different characters” (MC Robby, IC Jim, protag Walter/Mike, antag Law)

Ditto for Casablanca.