Inside the Clockwork: Quote of the Day May 1

*A future version of the software might find that each of the eight essential quesitons moves from a binary choice to a quad of choices:"

*By the end of your story has your MC:

*Changed
Remained Steadfast
Become less steadfast
Changed but only as an exception"

“In fact an even later version of the software might also add:”

“Become more steadfast
Changed but only temporarily”

“Will Eventually Change
Will eventually come back to steadfast”

“Now we have two complete quads. One Change Quad, one Steadfast Quad.”

GetSchwifty says:

Melanie is pointing out that the theory, or the implications of the theory, often extend beyond the boundaries of the software, and sometimes in useful ways.

It wasn’t done this way in the current version because of constraints around time, business and, well, they’d already done a lot of hard work. Plus, it was hard enough, and still is, for people to understand the implementation of the theory in the software as it is.

Interesting… This seems really strange to me … I don’t see how the other choices above would do anything but undermine the story’s argument.

I could see additional info around Resolve that describes how steadfast they were during the story (did they waver, did they change their perspective entirely but then come back to steadfast, did they remain staunchly steadfast until the very end when they made a leap of faith, or did they change gradually). None of that would take away from the binary nature of Resolve though; it would be like additional metadata describing the Growth. (Growth is a waveform so it can have a lot more variation than binary Resolve.)

1 Like

I think you’d probably mainly see the effect in the arrangement algorithms. But what do I know?

I think it would change the experience of the storyform, more nuanced. But overall, same message.

1 Like