Inside the Clockwork: Quotes of the Day, May 4

(speaking of Dynamic, Companion, Dependent relationships).

‘Each of these relationships has a different nature. Also, one of the two pairs of each kind will be “positive” and the other “negative.”’

(speaking of Independent and Collective relationships)

‘There is also one other relationship that doesn’t show up in the software: the Associative Relationship.’

‘Associative deals with the relationship of the individual to the group. Rather than being consistently positive or negative, the two varieties of this kind of relationship may be either = but in any given relationship one variety will be positive and the other negative. The Component (Associative or Independent) variety sees the quad as individuals. The Collective variety sees them as a group.’

AND

'For any quad, when one pair of items is seen as being separate (binary) the other two are seen as spectrum. For example in one quad in the structure, Dramatic has Faith, Disbelief, Conscience and Temptation. If we decide to see Faith and Disbelief as two separate states of mind (*as the Observer), then a character will Change or Remain Steadfast along the scale from Conscience to Temptation. ’

Taken together, the quads look like this:

Of course, this resolves to our familiar bump-slide-bump Z-pattern.

For example, where Faith and Disbelief are the binaries and conscience and temptation are the spectrum:

(of course, you can also flip Remain Steadfast and Change on the spectrum. That might be related to positive or negative charge, or order of components of the dynamic pair, but I don’t know. I guess it would look like this:)

Note that the Inside the Clockwork quotes here only apply to Z pattern. It looks to me as if U turn has two spectrums, with a binary opposition across two companion or dependent elements, depending on the orientation of the pattern; and for the Hairpin, two binaries, with a spectrum between two dependent or companion pairs.

here’s the big chart so far

dramatica clockwork may 4.pdf (353.7 KB)

fixed the color on the first sketch

added a z pattern to show it in context.

added a second z pattern to show reversing Steadfast and Change.

added a note about Uturn and Hairpin patterns.